You and I
0 Shouts - 338,392 Scrobbles
There are three bands with this name:Read More...
1) You and I - late 90s New Jersey screamo band, by ex-members of instil and Sky Falls Down.
While they maintained the heavy, chaotic elements typical of the genre, their music has traveled well in terms of influence due to its more tuneful and musical qualities. While other bands in the genre often simply played fast, You and I had a very solidly inventive rhythm section and two guitarists were who were able to add interesting textures and interplay to the music, incorporating riffs that recalled Midwest emo, tech metal, and almost every other punk sub-genre; often while holding down vocal parts at the same time. While You and I were by no means the only screamo band to integrate clean vocals and layered harmonies, they did it in the context of what were often atypical song structures, particularly on their final CD, The Curtain Falls, which was released in 2000 by Level Plane Records. You And I played their final show on May 8th, 1999 with Saetia, Carlisle, Cable Car Theory, and Stormshadow in the basement of Tom Schlatter & Geoff Rickly's (ex-Thursday) New Brunswick, NJ home.
You and I Discography LP & CD - Alone Records (2003)
The Curtain Falls LP & CD - Level Plane Records (November 1999)
Within the Frame EP - (July 1999)
Saturdays Cab Ride Home- Two releases - Spiritfall Records (October 1997) Reunion show limited-edition LP re-relase - How Soon is Now Records (2011)
The First Seven Inch EP - (1996)
Reviews - The Curtain Falls
"The final recording from this legendary New Jersey band. Combining the greatest aspects of bands like Lifetime, Unbroken, Converge, to name a few, but adding their own style to the mix, more so on this album than on their earlier efforts." - Between Life and Music, 2009
"This LP has that x-factor, that can't quite be described but definitely imprints the songs onto my brain without making them seem stale. The technicality and production aren't as slick as that of similar bands like Hot Cross or The Fall of Troy but the feeling is there. You can hear the errors in the playing easily but it doesn't matter because the emotion trumps the need for deft musicianship... This album exists in a special way, and everybody deserves at least one round with it. - Nick Greer, 2005
Reunion show (first show in 12 years): July 24, 2011 in Asbury Park, NJ, USA as headliners of RTF Fest.
Reunion show was accompanied by limited re-release LPs, put out by How Soon Is Now Records
Some of the opening lineup included artist]seasick, Black Kites, Troublemaker, Convulsions, Pianos become the teeth.
Following the dissolution of You and I, members went on to play in many bands.
Guitarist, Thomas R. Schlatter, played in The Assistant, This Ship Will Sink, In First Person, Black Kites; current bands include Less Life and Capacities.
Other members played in bands such as: Neil Perry and Welcome The Plague Year. Guitarist Casey Boland was a member of post-hardcore band Hot Cross.
2) YOU&I - Having originally set out as a duo in spring 2007, YOU&I have gradually been growing into a quartet around the singer/songwriters Sonja San and Tobi Tonewheel, now armed with drums, double bass, piano, guitar and vocal power. Never satisfied with the tried and tested, always boldly exploring new territory, YOU&I captivate their audience time and time again.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Forever Lasts a Moment - 19,522 plays
- A Day That Passes Through Us - 16,777 plays
- All Imperfect Things - 14,768 plays
- Achilles - 15,154 plays
- I Think I Know Where Elvis Lives - 13,512 plays
- Memory Loss - 10,904 plays
- Tell Me About Your Childhood - 12,920 plays
- We All Bleed - 10,086 plays
- When We Were One - 10,050 plays
- Nights Like These - 14,889 plays