9 Shouts - 31,821 Scrobbles
On paper, Vex Ruffin’s music is simple: an untrained punk musician who uses a few basic instruments in uncomplicated ways. He calls the style ‘minimalist.’ Although it may not seem like it upon first listen, Vex’s music is rooted in sampling and hip hop beat-making culture. The SP 303 sampler provides the drums and other sounds, a purchase inspired by Madlib. Vex is the first and only artist signed to Stones Throw Records on the strength of an unsolicited demo sent through the mail. Peanut Butter Wolf recalls, “It was kind of a fluke that I listened.
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Technology - (2:43) - 553 plays
- Living for the Future - (3:19) - 342 plays
- Prime of My Life - (3:51) - 295 plays
- It Will Come - (4:30) - 252 plays
- Hard on Myself - (3:10) - 256 plays
- Warm Life - (3:53) - 271 plays
- Forget It - (3:57) - 314 plays
- Be the Man - (3:37) - 253 plays
- Won Day - (4:29) - 249 plays
- Down in the Basement - (2:46) - 214 plays