0 Shouts - 6,899 Scrobbles
Urban Sax is an ensemble founded by the French composer Gilbert Artman made up of massive numbers of saxophones, accompanied by percussion and sometimes voices. The group is directed by Artman and performs his compositions, which are generally repetitive and minimalist, often sounding somewhat mechanistic rather than conventionally expressive.Read More...
The group was formed in 1973, when Artman organized a concert by a group of eight saxophonists he had organized at a classical music festival in Menton, in the south of France. In subsequent years, the number of players grew to 12, 16, 20, 24, and 30, and by the early 21st century, the group consisted of 52 musicians (with saxophones ranging from the soprano to bass registers). Artman frequently integrates local musicians and dancers into his performances, and thus the ensemble can encompass as many as 200 performers.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Possible Prologue - 534 plays
- Prologue Improbable - 531 plays
- glauquerie - 395 plays
- Perchman aux Oreilles Mouvantes - 373 plays
- On The Time - 322 plays
- Travelling to Pr Velvoski - 259 plays
- Slow-Turn around Mevlana - 268 plays
- cuve au miroir - 282 plays
- Urban Sax Part 3 - 252 plays
- Paduan Suara - Part 1 - 207 plays