0 Shouts - 553,390 Scrobbles
U-Roy (born Ewart Beckford September 21, 1942) is a Jamaican musician also known as The Originator and Hugh Roy. He was born in Jones Town, Jamaica.Read More...
U-Roy's musical career began in 1961 when he began DJing at various sound systems, eventually working with King Tubby. Tubby was then experimenting with his equipment, in the process of inventing dub music. With U-Roy as his most prominent DJ, King Tubby's new sound became extraordinarily popular and U-Roy became a Jamaican celebrity. He recorded Dynamic Fashion Way, his first recording, in 1969 for Keith Hudson and then worked with almost every producer of the island: Lee Perry, Peter Tosh, Bunny Lee, Phil Pratt, Sonia Pottinger, Rupie Edwards, Alvin Ranglin and Lloyd Daley.
In 1970, Jamaican singer John Holt became enamoured of U-Roy's technique. Working with Duke Reid, U-Roy's fame grew through a series of singles, including Wake the Town and "Wear You to the Ball".
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Natty Rebel - 36,924 plays
- Wear You To The Ball - 27,936 plays
- Runaway Girl - 20,709 plays
- Chalice In The Palace - 20,878 plays
- Rule The Nation - 12,439 plays
- Natty Don't Fear - 12,106 plays
- Natty Rebel - 1990 Digital Remaster - 12,298 plays
- Trench Town Rock - 12,898 plays
- Wake The Town - 12,542 plays
- Runaway Girl - 1990 Digital Remaster - 10,268 plays