Townes Van Zandt
407 Shouts - 5,493,742 Scrobbles
Townes Van Zandt (John Townes Van Zandt, born at Fort Worth, Texas, March 7, 1944 and died at Smyrna, Tennessee, January 1, 1997). He was a country and folk singer and poet. While alive, Van Zandt was labelled as a cult musician. Though he had a small and devoted fanbase, he never had a successful album or single, and even had difficulty keeping his recordings in print. Many of his songs, including "If I Needed You," "To Live Is To Fly," and "No Place to Fall" are considered standards of their genre. AllMusic has called him "one of the greatest country and folk artists of his generation."
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- LyricsIf I needed you, would you come to me?
Would you come to me and ease my pain?
If you needed me, I would come to you
I'd swim the seas for to ease your pain
Well, in the night forlorn, oh, the morning's born
- LyricsWhy does she sing these sad songs for me
I'm not the one to tenderly bring her soft sympathy
I've just begun to see my way clear, it's plain if I stop I will fall
I can lay down a tear for her pain, a tear and that's all
What does she want me to do?
- LyricsWell, the name she gave was Caroline
The daughter of a miner
An' her ways were free, an' it seemed to me
That sunshine walked beside her
She comes from Spencer, across the hill
- LyricsWell, won't you lend your lungs to me?
Mine are collapsin'
Plant my feet and bitterly breathe
Up the time that's passin'
Breath I'll take and breath I'll give
- LyricsWon't say I love you, babe
Won't say I need you, babe
I'm gonna get you babe
And I will not do you wrong
Living's mostly wasting time
- Our Mother The Mountain - (2:58) - 8,193 plays
- Kathleen - (2:46) - 8,085 plays
- Pancho And Lefty - (4:19) - 6,910 plays
- Waitin' Around To Die - (2:25) - 8,271 plays
- St. John the Gambler - (3:05) - 7,485 plays