25 Shouts - 357,618 Scrobbles
Tom Russell (born in Los Angeles in either 1947 or 1948) is an American singer-songwriter from California, currently living in El Paso, Texas. His music incorporates elements of folk, traditional country & western, border and cowboy music of the American West. Russell's songs have been recorded by artists such as Johnny Cash, Ian Tyson, Nanci Griffith, Dave Alvin and others. In addition to his music, he is also an artist and published author. In the 1980s Russell made four albums credited to the Tom Russell Band. These featured Andrew Hardin and accordionist Fats Kaplin.
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- LyricsI had a gun pointed at my head on several occasions, Yeah Nadine I was scared.
Something about a black man with a machine gun make you wish you said your prayers,
It was Nigeria, the year was 1969
I was teaching criminology,
playing a little guitar on the side.
- LyricsPanco Villa crossed the border in the year of ought sixteen
The people of Columbus still hear him riding through their dreams
He killed seventeen civilians you could hear the women scream
Blackjack Pershing on a dancing horse was waiting in the wings
Tonight we ride, tonight we ride
- LyricsI slept through the Nineteen Sixties, I heard Dory Previn say
But me I caught me the great white bird, to the shores of Africay
Where I lost my adolescent heart, to the sound of a talking drum
Yeah, East of Woodstock, West of Vietnam
And on the roads outside Oshogbo, Lord I fell down on my knees
- Mesabi - (4:05) - 705 plays
- The Man From God Knows Where - (1:48) - 812 plays
- Santa Ana Wind - (4:06) - 512 plays
- Box of Visions - (3:09) - 474 plays
- Nina Simone - (5:20) - 497 plays
- Manzanar - (5:06) - 403 plays
- Mississippi River Runnin' Backwards - (4:21) - 389 plays