0 Shouts - 232,792 Scrobbles
The Screamers were a synthpunk band which formed in Los Angeles, California, United States in 1975.Read More...
The band emerged in Los Angeles' first wave of punk rock in the 1970s. The label "techno-punk" was applied to the band by the Los Angeles Times in 1978, and they are widely cited as the pioneers of a genre now known as "synthpunk." The Screamers were notable for their use of synthesizers in place of guitars, and for a highly developed theatrical presentation that centered around a manic lead vocalist, Tomata du Plenty, whose stage persona one early commentator described as "a psychotic Mickey Rooney." Though they developed a substantial following and generated considerable press coverage, the Screamers never released a record. Jello Biafra, lead singer of Dead Kennedys, once declared the Screamers to be "the best unrecorded band in the history of rock 'n roll."
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Peer Pressure - 15,799 plays
- Vertigo - 17,369 plays
- The Beat Goes On - 15,810 plays
- Sex Boy - 13,135 plays
- She's the Girl - 11,778 plays
- I Wanna Hurt - 10,939 plays
- Punish or Be Damned - 11,641 plays
- Magazine Love - 10,993 plays
- Thru the Flames - 10,520 plays
- It's a Violent World - 8,606 plays