0 Shouts - 2,354,728 Scrobbles
There have been several bands with the name The Bees.Read More...
1. The Bees (known as A Band of Bees in America, owing to a rights conflict over their name) are a UK band from the Isle of Wight off the south coast of England. Due to release their new album in October 2010. Formed in 2000, the band members are Aaron 'Fletch' Fletcher (bass), Paul Butler (vocals, keyboards, guitars), Kris Birkin (guitar), Tim Parkin (trumpet), Michael Clevett (drums) and Warren Hampshire (keyboards). Known for harking back to the 60s and 70s, with cheery pop and trips into the psychedelic, The Bees record their albums in analog, notably recording their debut album in a garden shed.
To quote an Amazon review: "The best word to describe the music is bouncy -- the Bees call on snappy drums and cheery basslines and guitar riffs for their sound, as well as some deeply moving Hammond organ. To finish off the sound, they inject some harmonies that would make the Zombies wipe away a tear of pride."
Their influences cover soul, reggae, funk and Motown, with artists such as Curtis Mayfield, Burt Bacharach, Up the Junction era Manfred Mann, The Kinks and Small Faces.
In the USA The Bees are known as "A Band of Bees" to avoid confusion with two local bands of the same name (see below):
2. The Bees was a San Gabriel Valley garage band that released one single in October of 1966, "Voices Green And Purple" backed with "Trip to New Orleans" as the B-side, on the Covina, California-based Liverpool Label. No other singles by this band were issued.
3. Quirky New Wave/Punk band from New York with three 7" releases on their own label Obey My Brain - 4 song EP (1978), "TV Mentality" (1979), "Already In Love" (1979).
4. The Bees formed when producer Jason Lehning met singer-songwriter Daniel Tashian. The Bees toured as an opening act for Guster in 2004 after the release of their debut album, Starry Gazey Pie. In early 2006 they released High Society. They are often cited in the local media as one of Nashville's best unsigned bands.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Chicken Payback - 201,913 plays
- LyricsTell me something away from trouble
And away from doubting
Tell me straight from the spirit
From the top of the mountain
Let love be the reason between me and you
- These Are The Ghosts - 93,670 plays
- A Minha Menina - 95,625 plays
- Wash in the Rain - 89,722 plays
- Who Cares What The Question Is? - 87,123 plays
- I Love You - 95,689 plays
- Horsemen - 77,286 plays
- Left Foot Stepdown - 75,655 plays
- Got To Let Go - 71,524 plays