2 Shouts - 18,906 Scrobbles
Melvin "Sy" Oliver (born December 17, 1910 in Battle Creek, Michigan — died May 28, 1988 in New York City) was a jazz arranger, trumpeter, composer, singer and bandleader. His mother was a piano teacher and his father was a multi-instrumentalist who made a name for himself demonstrating saxophones at a time that instrument was little used outside of marching bands. Oliver left home at 17 to play with Zack White and his Chocolate Beau Brummels and later with Alphonse Trent. He sang and played trumpet with these bands, becoming known for his "growling" horn playing.
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Yes Indeed! - (3:34) - 47 plays
- 'Tain't What You Do - (3:08) - 38 plays
- The Melody Man - (3:00) - 34 plays
- Yes Indeed - (3:20) - 26 plays
- Stu's Blues - (4:24) - 18 plays
- Four or Five Times - (3:09) - 24 plays
- For Dancers Only - (3:12) - 14 plays
- Zonky - (4:50) - 21 plays
- Rhythm Is Our Business - (3:19) - 17 plays
- Only For Dancers - (3:05) - 7 plays