0 Shouts - 4,050,192 Scrobbles
There are two artists which use this nameRead More...
1. A glam rock band from England
2. A rapper
1. Slade is a glam rock / hard rock group from Wolverhampton, England in the West Midlands they were formed in 1966 by Noddy Holder (Lead vocal & Rhythm Guitar), Dave Hill (Lead guitar), Jim Lea (Bass) and Don Powell (Drums). The group started out as the N'Betweens and were mainly a R&B act. They changed their name to Ambrose Slade and later shortened it to just Slade.
In the late 60's they hooked up with manager Chas Chandler who proved to be the missing link, convincing the group to use the heavier rock style with clapping hands and stamping feet which they had success with live.
This change of direction paid off, and from 1971 to 1975, the band scored a huge number of hit albums and singles. During the heights of their success, Slade out-performed chart rivals like Wizzard, Sweet, T.Rex, Suzi Quattro, Smokie, Gary Glitter and even David Bowie.
In the UK, they achieved 12 top five hits from 1971 to 1974, six of which topped the charts. In total, Slade had 17 top 20 hits between 1971 and 1976 including six #1s, three #2s and two #3s.And the evergreen Merry Xmas Everybody has reached the charts eight times since topping the charts in 1973 until 2006.
When Slade's success faded in the end of 1970s the band still were able to release credible records.They returned to the UK charts in the early 1980 and even managed to enter the charts in the United States, where the song "Run Runaway" hit #20 thanks to interest from the band Quiet Riot's cover of the Slade song "Cum On Feel The Noize".
The classic line-up of Slade split up in 1992 although Dave Hill and Don Powell carried on.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- LyricsAre you hanging up a stocking on your wall?
It's the time that every Santa has a ball
Does he ride a red-nosed reindeer?
Does a ton-up on his sleigh?
Do the fairies keep him sober for a day?
- LyricsBaby baby baby!
So you think I got an evil mind, well I'll tell you honey
And I don't know why
And I don't know why
- LyricsI've seen the yellow lights go down the Mississippi
I've seen the bridges of the world and they're for real
I've had a red light of the wrist
Without me even gettin' kissed
It still seems so unreal
- LyricsI don't want to drink my whisky like you do
I don't need to spend my money but still do
Don't stop now a c'mon
another drop now c'mon
- LyricsGoodbye to Jane, goodbye to Jane
She's a dark horse see if she can
Goodbye to Jane, goodbye to Jane
Painted up like a fancy young man
She's a queen,
- My Oh My - 152,238 plays
- Coz I Luv You - 132,732 plays
- Merry Christmas Everybody - 94,736 plays
- How Does It Feel - 61,840 plays
- Everyday - 89,017 plays