0 Shouts - 253,798 Scrobbles
Rory Block (born as 'Aurora Block', November 6, 1949) is an American female blues guitarist and singer, a notable exponent of the country blues style.Read More...
Rory Block was born in Princeton, New Jersey and grew up in Manhattan. Her father, Allan Block, ran a sandal shop in Greenwich Village in the 1960s, and the constant presence of members of the Greenwich Village folk music scene made an impression on the young girl, who studied classical guitar. Around age 14, she began to be fascinated by old Mississippi Delta blues, listening to old albums, transcribing them, and learning to play the songs. At age 15, she left home to seek out the remaining blues giants, such as Mississippi John Hurt, Reverend Gary Davis and Son House, and hone her craft in the traditional manner of blues musicians; then she moved to California where she played in clubs and coffeehouses.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Lovin' Whiskey - 20,429 plays
- Make Me A Pallet On Your Floor - 13,392 plays
- Walking Blues - 7,535 plays
- Crossroad Blues - 8,073 plays
- Terraplane Blues - 5,497 plays
- Peavine Blues - 5,633 plays
- Joliet Bound - 5,310 plays
- Rolling Log - 4,669 plays
- Got To Have You Be My Man - 3,885 plays
- Avalon - 2,893 plays