0 Shouts - 27,158 Scrobbles
There are at least 2 bands named Red Rum:Read More...
1) St Petersburg-based band Red Rum creates an inventive kind of music that would be easiest categorized as experimental rock. This vague description in Red Rum’s case includes bits of alternative rock, psychedelic breaks, the more adventurous side of indie, electronics and some quirky/surreal elements that seem to come from no outside influence.
Formed in 2004, the band consists of 3 members: Ndk (vocals/guitar/electronics), Eugene Byrd (bass) and Gorsky (drums). Their studio recordings including 4 EPs and one album feature Red Rum’s 2004-2010 live lineup.
Red Rum’s early EPs included aggressive musicianship, gothic elements, guitar noises, everyday sounds and earned critical acclaim from European underground labels and fanzines (Savage Recordings, Blissaquamarine, Ebus Music etc.)
The band’s first full-length album was released on their own label in 2008. Moving from harder rock tracks the «Recognito» LP has its moments of “calm within the storm” and creates dark visions of life and loss. This record has drawn together many of the elements guys have experimented with on previous releases. One of the critics supposed that ‘Recognito’ sounds like «if De/Vision would set their mind to arrange King Diamond songs, while Alphaville and Das Ich collaborate to play ‘Galactica’ by Rockets».
Red Rum’s most refined work to date was recorded in the end of 2010 after 2 years of live performances. Since it has been released, the «Angels’ Roar» single could be found in playlists of Last.fm users along the works of trip-hop/alternative masters such as Massive attack and UNKLE. NDK: “Recording and production process wasn’t held in straightforward manner: for the first time we’ve tried several gospel tricks and dark orchestra elements combining them with acoustic guitars and solid rhythmical base. Exploring the mankind’s future direction in lyrics merged with studio experimenting transformed the track into a spiritual trip for every listener.”
The beginning of 2011 was especially successful for Red Rum as band’s first Baltic tour took place. Kicking off January 06 in Latvia, the tour encompassed 3 shows: in Riga, Kaunas and Vilnius.
Eugene Byrd: “It was an outstanding experience - playing for guys in Europe this winter. Moreover we are really impressed that audience’s reaction was mostly positive, and this fact gives us a perfect inspiration.”
Red Rum recent highlights:
- Baltic tour 2011 completion (shows at Nabaklab/Riga/LV, Insait/Kaunas/LT, Bix Baras/Vilnius/LT)
- New single «Angels’ Roar» release in December 2010
- More than 4500 listeners on band’s Last.fm page and still growing
- Airplays on 102.0 FM Saint-Petersburg (Radio Roks)
- ‘Audioformat’ magazine cover appearance (June 2009)
- Summer 2009 and 2010 Russian mini-tours
- Special prize for originality on National Depeche Mode covers challenge.
1. Let me live in prison of my days (demo), 2004
2. Pleasure area (demo), 2004
3. Faithcontrol (EP), 2006
4. Recognito (LP), 2008
5. Angels' Roar (single), 2010
1. Paranormal, 2008