Rahsaan Roland Kirk
87 Shouts - 823,817 Scrobbles
Rahsaan Roland Kirk (1936-1977) was a blind American jazz saxophonist, perhaps best known for his ability to play more than one saxophone at once. Kirk was born Ronald Kirk on 7th August 1936, in Columbus, Ohio, but felt compelled by a dream to transpose two letters in his first name to make Roland. After another dream in about 1970 he added Rahsaan to his name. His playing was generally rooted in soul jazz or hard bop, but Kirk's encyclopedic knowledge of jazz history allowed him to draw convincingly on any element of the music's history, from ragtime to swing and free jazz.
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Haunted Feelings - (2:25) - 3,647 plays
- Ain't No Sunshine - (2:28) - 1,447 plays
- Talk - (3:30) - 1,084 plays
- A Laugh for Rory - (2:54) - 1,072 plays
- Volunteered Slavery - (7:14) - 910 plays
- The Inflated Tear - (5:22) - 981 plays
- The Black And Crazy Blues - (6:08) - 870 plays
- Blacknuss - (4:50) - 708 plays
- My Girl - (3:07) - 667 plays
- Freaks for the Festival - (0:51) - 647 plays