0 Shouts - 11,186 Scrobbles
Rún is a celtic folk band from Kiev, Ukraine. The band (translated from Irish Gaelic as “secret”, “intent”, or in the address form, "á run", as “my love”) explores and plays music of the lands with celtic heritage (Ireland, Scotland, Spanish Galicia and others...).Read More...
Repertory of the band is based on lively traditional dances: reels and jigs, hornpipes and flings, waltzes and polkas; slow airs by ancient bards; fiery tunes of Spanish Galicia; music of Irish hills and Scottish highlands... and of Ukrainian Carpathians as well. This is the music that makes you feel easy, lifts up to dance and gives a chance to rest from daily routine.
The goal of the band is to explore and understand the culture and music of the countries mentioned, to break stereotypic conception of traditional music as monotonous and boring, and to develop traditional music listener's interest and taste as well.
The music is performed using traditional instruments.
The current lineup:
1. Nicolay Ivanov (viola, fiddle, mandolin)
2. Ilya Nikiforov (tin-whistles, bodhrán and bones, lilting, vocals)
3. Igor Sivak (tin & low whistles, flute, Galician gaita, piano-accordeon, Scottish kitchen pipes, Ukrainian sopilka (wooden whistle) and Ukrainian old-time bandura)
4. Andrey Yakovenko (bouzouki, guitar, vocals)
5. Anastasiya Kandyrina (fiddle, viola)
6. Olga Kuzmanenko (bodhrán)
Rún was founded in the autumn of 2001. The band began performing at the beginning of 2002 within the events organized by the Kiev Historic Fencing Federation. During 2002 and 2003 the band played on the regular basis in the 'Golden Gate' Irish Pub in Kiev.
The band played in various clubs and halls in Kiev as well as in other Ukrainian cities, as well as abroad in Minsk (Belarus), Moscow and St. Petersburg (Russia); participated in numerous festivals and events as well as in TV & radio programmes.
The band recorded two studio albums:
Kid on the Mountain (2005)
Over the Border (2006)
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- KRONO feat. Linying - 269 plays
- Lord Mayo - 806 plays
- Wired To The Moon - 703 plays
- Walls Of Liscarroll - 411 plays
- Black-Haired Lass - 550 plays
- Hardiman The Fiddler - 444 plays
- Smoke the Feathers - 365 plays
- Across The Black River - 361 plays
- Farewell To Sanity - 361 plays
- Charley Harris - 371 plays