10 Shouts - 86,365 Scrobbles
Philip Wells Woods (born November 2, 1931) is an American jazz alto saxophonist, clarinetist, and composer. Woods studied music with Lennie Tristano, who influenced him greatly, at the Manhattan School of Music and at The Juilliard School. As there was no saxophone major at Juilliard at the time, his friend Joe Lopes coached him on the clarinet. Once graduated, he quickly acquired a reputation as the pre-eminent bop saxophonist of the day. Although he did not copy Charlie Parker (AKA "Bird"), bop's greatest saxophonist, Woods was known as 'the New Bird'.
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Here's That Rainy Day - (4:01) - 314 plays
- Blue Ballad - (6:36) - 196 plays
- The Summer Knows - (7:18) - 233 plays
- Summer Morning - (4:39) - 454 plays
- Stolen Moments - (13:40) - 173 plays
- On A Slow Boat To China - (5:00) - 164 plays
- Be My Love - (5:35) - 162 plays
- Highway To Hell - (3:20) - 178 plays
- Samba Du Bois - (6:58) - 132 plays
- Airegin - (3:12) - 114 plays