0 Shouts - 10,512,281 Scrobbles
Periphery is an American progressive metal band from Bethesda, Maryland, formed in 2005.Read More...
Formation and Lineup Changes (2005 - 2009)
Periphery was formed by guitarist Misha Mansoor in 2005. He slowly gained a reputation on the Internet, primarily via a regularly-updated Soundclick account, Meshuggah and John Petrucci forums, and the sevenstring.org message boards. Before and during Periphery's tenure in the metal scene, Mansoor developed a reputation for doing his own audio production, the majority of which was performed with a home computer and a Pod XT during this period. Mansoor has continued to update his personal project, Bulb, which preceded Periphery, often transferring songs between the two projects. Mansoor continues to be involved in a number of other musical projects.
Between 2005 and 2009, Periphery worked with vocalists Jake Veredika, Casey Sabol and Chris Barretto, gradually moving from a nu metal-influenced sound to a more experimental style, with a focus on innovative production. In 2009, the band announced via their MySpace blog that they had signed a one record deal with Sumerian Records, on which they would release their debut full-length album.
Periphery has toured extensively since 2008, supporting artists including DevilDriver, Emmure, Veil of Maya, Animals as Leaders, God Forbid, The Dillinger Escape Plan and Fear Factory.
Spencer Sotelo and Self-titled Debut (2010 onward)
In January 2010, Sumerian and Periphery set the release of the band's self-titled debut album to April 20, 2010, set to be distributed by Sumerian Records in the United States, Distort Records in Canada and Roadrunner Records in Australia and the rest of the world. On January 20, 2010, amid swirling speculation that they had changed vocalists again, Periphery uploaded an album sampler featuring vocals by Spencer Sotelo, who was later announced to be Periphery's new vocalist. The band later clarified via their MySpace blog that the split with Barretto had not been acrimonious. Barretto continues to sing in metal band Haunted Shores, a project composed of Mansoor and Mark Holcomb. On April 8, 2010, Periphery posted a new track, "Insomnia" on their Myspace page, as well as announced a tour of Australia in support of The Dillinger Escape Plan.
Periphery released their self-titled debut album, Periphery, through Sumerian Records on April 20th, 2010. It debuted at #128 on the Billboard Top 200, as well as #2 on the Billboard Heatseekers chart
* Misha "Bulb" Mansoor — guitars, programming, producer (2005–Present)
* Spencer Sotelo - lead vocals (2010–Present)
* Nolly Getgood — bass, (2012–Present)
* Matt Halpern — drums, percussion (ex-Animals As Leaders) (2009–Present)
* Jake Bowen — guitars, programming (2005–Present)
* Mark Holcomb — guitars (2011–Present)
* Tom Murphy — bass, backing vocals (2005–2011)
* Alex Bois — guitars, backing vocals (2005–2011)
* Chris Barretto — vocals (2008–2010) currently in Friend for a Foe
* Travis Orbin — drums (2005–2009) currently in Sky Eats Airplane
* Casey Sabol — vocals (2007–2008) currently working on a solo project
* Jake Veredika - vocals (2005–2007)
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- The Walk - 347,747 plays
- LyricsThough you can give no more inspiring false security
I've got the reason to alter belief
Selfish paintings diamonds mutilate
You can't erase the way I'm unappreciated
But I can't sleep tonight
- LyricsMoments lost searching for a dream that's real
From my heart
I'd give it all away just to know
In truth revealed
- LyricsThese walls of time release
My eyes move like the drift
The cries, they resonate within
The fabric tears before me
Break ties between the kin
- LyricsFlashing eyes of heat
Vessel through the deep
By the son of night, unclean.
Fear becomes belief,
- Scarlet - 349,587 plays
- Light - 306,378 plays
- Icarus Lives! - 374,136 plays
- Buttersnips - 275,757 plays
- Muramasa - 264,537 plays