0 Shouts - 956,914 Scrobbles
Oneida is an experimental rock band from Brooklyn, New York. Their influences include psychedelic rock, krautrock, electronic, and noise rock, but the overall structure and intent of their music cannot be easily traced to any of these styles, or the myriad other styles they have drawn upon in recordings.Read More...
The most striking and consistent aspect of Oneida's music is their use of and fascination with repetition. Their 2002 LP, Each One Teach One, for instance, begins with two especially long tracks, Sheets of Easter and Antibiotics, the former over fourteen minutes long, the latter more than sixteen. Both of these songs are composed of one repeated riff (with a few short interludes on Antibiotics). In addition to the use of repetition Oneida's music can be distinguished by the bandmember's extensive use of and enthusiasm for antique keyboards and analog electric pianos.
Originally recording on Turnbuckle Records (their first two albums in 1997 and 1999), the band now runs Brah Records, an imprint of Jagjaguwar (Jagjaguwar group at Last.fm). In September 2007 the group celebrated 10 years of existence with a concert at the P.S. 1 Contemporary Art Center in NYC.
The current lineup is:
* Kid Millions - drums, vocals participated as drummer 53 in the Boredoms 77 Boadrum performance which occurred on July 7th, 2007 at the Empire-Fulton Ferry State Park in Brooklyn, New York
* Bobby Matador - organ, guitar, vocals
* Hanoi Jane - guitar, bass
* Double Rainbow (aka Phil Manley of Trans Am and The Fucking Champs) - guitar
* Shahin Motia (of Ex Models) - guitar
Papa Crazy (aka PCRZ) of Oakley Hall is a former member of Oneida, and has revived connections with Oneida by recording OH's most recent album Gypsum Strings on Oneida's Brah Records label.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Up With People - 29,011 plays
- What's Up, Jackal? - 20,857 plays
- Brownout in Lagos - 19,814 plays
- Each One Teach One - 19,811 plays
- People of the North - 19,726 plays
- I Will Haunt You - 17,674 plays
- Happy New Year - 19,759 plays
- 10:30 at the Oasis - 15,751 plays
- Run Through My Hair - 19,576 plays
- The Adversary - 18,744 plays