173 Shouts - 2,483,438 Scrobbles
Mulatu Astatke (born on December 19, 1943; surname sometimes spelled Astatqé on French-language releases: Mulatu Astatqé) is an Ethiopian musician and arranger best known as the father of ethio-jazz. Born in the western Ethiopian city of Jimma, Mulatu was musically trained in London, New York City, and Boston where he combined his jazz and Latin music interests with traditional Ethiopian music. Astatke led his band while playing vibraphone and conga drums—instruments that he introduced into Ethiopian popular music—as well as other percussion instruments, keyboards and organ.
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Yègellé tezeta - (3:14) - 8,322 plays
- Yèkèrmo sèw - (4:15) - 6,547 plays
- Mulatu - (7:08) - 3,968 plays
- Emnete - (3:28) - 3,564 plays
- I Faram Gami I Faram - (5:30) - 3,535 plays
- Yegelle Tezeta - (3:14) - 3,623 plays
- Yekermo Sew - A Man Of Experience And Wisdom - (4:16) - 2,488 plays
- Tezeta - (6:15) - 3,268 plays
- Yekermo Sew - (4:00) - 2,895 plays
- Shagu - (3:00) - 2,462 plays