173 Shouts - 2,467,524 Scrobbles
Mulatu Astatke (born on December 19, 1943; surname sometimes spelled Astatqé on French-language releases: Mulatu Astatqé) is an Ethiopian musician and arranger best known as the father of ethio-jazz. Born in the western Ethiopian city of Jimma, Mulatu was musically trained in London, New York City, and Boston where he combined his jazz and Latin music interests with traditional Ethiopian music. Astatke led his band while playing vibraphone and conga drums—instruments that he introduced into Ethiopian popular music—as well as other percussion instruments, keyboards and organ.
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Yègellé tezeta - (3:14) - 8,830 plays
- Yèkèrmo sèw - (4:15) - 6,802 plays
- Mulatu - (7:08) - 4,124 plays
- Emnete - (3:28) - 3,673 plays
- I Faram Gami I Faram - (5:30) - 3,617 plays
- Yegelle Tezeta - (3:14) - 3,961 plays
- Yekermo Sew - A Man Of Experience And Wisdom - (4:16) - 2,476 plays
- Tezeta - (6:15) - 3,252 plays
- Yekermo Sew - (4:00) - 3,106 plays
- Shagu - (3:00) - 2,560 plays