Mind Distortion System
0 Shouts - 26,008 Scrobbles
Artist: Mind Distortion System (also referred to as MDS or M.D.S.)Read More...
Nelson Jara Dos Santos was born and raised in Brussels to Portuguese parents who had emigrated for work. In 1994, while living in Portugal, Nelson was invited to a camping weekend. Little did he know, his life was about to change forever, for it was, in fact, a 3 day trance party that culminated with a marathon Goa Gil set! Hooked by the music and entranced by the discovery of an alternative community living according to principles of balance and sustanability, Nelson threw his boat into the trance waters and has been floating about ever since.
Fifteen years later, he produces and DJs night psychedelic trance under the name Mind Distortion System (sometimes DJ Nel-Sun). The first to acknowledge that his music is "not for the lazy listener", Nelson's music takes you surfing on a monster soundwave: catch the wave! For Nelson, the holy grail is a dancefloor organism, selves lost in a sea of sound.
In 2007, Nelson celebrated 2 major "releases" - the arrival of son, Solaris, on 14 October and the release of his debut full length album “He Claims to be Not Human,” in November on Trishula Records. He and his life partner now split their time between their 2 babies: Solaris, who at 16 months calls all trance music "papa", and Lycantrop Records, their newest project.
"Lycantrop is a cooperative society. Any profits we make, we share equally among the artist shareholders." According to Nelson, "Despite psytrance's fundamentally anarchistic nature and "unity" roots, or perhaps because of them, very few artists are compensated sufficiently to survive from the music." With Lycantrop, he hopes to be a positive force in the scene. The label's first release, Lycans' Meeting, came out in November 2008 and was named to Goa Gil's "Divine Dozen" in January 2009. A nice life spiral for a guy whose life was altered by a Goa Gil set!
Upcoming /Recent Releases:
- February 2009: "Fruity Juice in a Submarine" on the compilation Free Technodrome (Ulatravision)
- February 2009: "Spooky Art Gallery" on Tales from the Darkpsyde 2 (Darkpsyde)
-TBA 2010: "Nibiru Passage" for Helicon Sound System Records
- 10 tracks including "Dollar Collapse" (video can be viewed on YouTube) on 3 upcoming Lycantrop Records compilations: Distorted Shire* (April 2009), Hybrides Evolution (July 2009) and Pirate Planet (October 2009)
* "Distorted Shire" is a "split+friends" from Mind Distortion System and Greek producer Darkshire. It was released in Summer 2009 and includes collaborations with an exclusively Greek roster, including Kulu, Dark Elf, Septagram, Kokobloko and Detonator.
November 2008: "Zeta Talk (Pole Shift)" on Lycans' Meeting (Lycantrop Records)
July 2008: "Black Holes in Reality" on "Psycrowdelica: Home Edition (Mindwaves Records)
June 2008: "Looking at the Sky" on Acid Transmissions compilation (Trishula Records)
November 2007: "He Claims to be Not Human, debut full length album (Trishula Records)
June 2007: "Underworld" on Phoenix Rising compilation (Trishula Records)
December 2006: "pissedoffskaya" on Morthor Spede compilation (Black Magik Records)
October 2006: "Desert Highway" on Sonic Seasoning compilation (Trishula Records)
May 2006: "Dr Givazoo" on Durdom compilation (Devils Mind Records)
April 2004: "Japan Connection" on Mechanophobia (Trishula Records)
Festivals of note:
Freaky Dragons 2005 (France)
Freaky Dragons 2006 (France)
Moondust 2006 (India)
Psycrowdelica 2007 (Germany)
Full Moon Festival 2008 (Germany)
Shanti Jatra 2008 (Nepal)
Mystical Druids Society: editions 1 through 6 (Belgium)
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Underworld - 1,988 plays
- Metamorphose - 1,714 plays
- Zeta Talk (Pole Shift) - 1,620 plays
- Koshka - 1,466 plays
- Moon Side - 1,632 plays
- Pissedoffskaya - 1,383 plays
- Black Holes In Reality - 1,172 plays
- He Claims to be Not Human - 1,013 plays
- Looking At The Sky - 937 plays
- Space Race 152 - 767 plays