47 Shouts - 661,020 Scrobbles
Mary Gauthier (born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana in 1962) is an American folk singer/songwriter. Given up at birth by a mother she never knew, Mary was adopted. At age 15, she ran away from home and stole her parents' car, and spent the next several years in detox, halfway houses, and living with friends; she spent her 18th birthday in jail. These experiences provided fodder for her songwriting later on (particularly her song "Drag Queens in Limousines").
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- LyricsHe'd get home at 5:30
Fix his drink, sit down in his chair
Pick a fight with mama
Complain about us kids getting in his hair
At night he'd sit 'lone and smoke
- LyricsMy father could use a little mercy now
The fruits of his labor fall and rot slowly on the ground
His work is almost over it won't be long, he won't be around
I love my father, he could use some mercy now
My brother could use a little mercy now
- LyricsI hated high school, I prayed it would end
The jocks and their girls, it was their world, I didn't fit in
Mama said, "Baby, it's the best school that money can buy
Hold your head up, be strong, c'mon Mary, try"
I stole mama's car on a Sunday and left home for good
- LyricsOur Lady of the Shooting Stars was that you last night?
Did we dance a whispered waltz, did I hold you in my sight?
When morning came with open arms she lifted you from me
The sunlight burned my eyes away now I cannot see
Our Lady of the Shooting Stars as I face the early light
- LyricsIt's a cheap hotel, the heat pipes hiss
The bathroom's down the hall and it smells like piss
It's another night in another town
And I'm another blues traveler headed down
Falling out of love is a dangerous thing
- The Foundling - (3:39) - 948 plays
- Snakebit - (4:31) - 888 plays
- Last Of The Hobo Kings - (6:30) - 833 plays
- Can't Find The Way - (6:06) - 737 plays
- Your Sister Cried - (5:00) - 834 plays