0 Shouts - 76,339 Scrobbles
Manna Dey, the "Classical Pop Singer" of Indian Cinema, who could have been a great classical singer in his own right, was born in Kolkata, Bengal.Read More...
He received his initial training under his legendary uncle Krishna Dey. Later he migrated to Mumbai to gain foothold in Hindi cinema.
Mention of this great singer immediately brings into mind such unforgettable classical-based melodies as Bhai bhanjana, Sur na saje, Pucho na keise maine, Chham Chham baje re payaliya. In fact, whenever composers used to have a great classical composition in their minds, they would invariably take Manna Dey.
Interestingly, in spite of his solid classical background, he was equally at ease in all types of songs, be it Romantic - Yeh raat bheegi bheegi, Jaha bhi jaati hoon wohi chali aati ho, Dil ki girah khol do, Saanjh dhali; peppy - Aao twist karen; folksy - Chalata musafir moh liya re, door hain kinara; sad - Kasme Wade pyar wafa sab, Tum bin jeevan keisa jeevan; funny - Khali dabba khali botol, mere bhais ko danda; quali - Ai mere johra jevin, Yaari hain imaan mera; spiritual- Laaga chuneri mein daag; or philosophical - Zindegi keisi hain paheli, Tum besahara ho to; ghazal - Neino se yon baat kare.
One unique contribution is his famous rendition in music of the equally famous Madhushala written by Dr. Haribans Rai Bachchan the father of equally illustrious Amitabh Bachchan.
He is a composer in his own right, composing mostly in Bengali innumerable hit songs.
Readers may contribute their view in this regard and build up voice to urge upon the Indian Government in this regard.
Real great Review
**** Contribute by Jyotish Deb ******
Edit: He has been awarded the Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan and Dadasaheb Phalke Awards.
Manna Dey Passed away on 24th Oct 2013.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Antar Jaar Athai Saagar Manna (Language: Bengali; Film: Raj Nandini) - 3,386 plays
- Galaa Chherey Gaan (Language: Bengali;) - 2,717 plays
- Akul Ganger Majhi Re - 2,586 plays
- Oi Aakaash Khujtey (Language: Bengali;) - 2,237 plays
- Zindagi Kaisi Hai Paheli - 3,485 plays
- Aami Niraalay Boshey (Language: Bengali;) - 2,100 plays
- Bharat Aamar Bharatbarsha (Language: Bengali; Film: Charmurti) - 1,789 plays
- Ei Brishtitey Bhijey Maati (Language: Bengali;) - 1,358 plays
- Oi Doorey Bohu Doorey (Language: Bengali;) - 1,187 plays
- Baje Go Bina - 1,054 plays