0 Shouts - 2,117,889 Scrobbles
1) Luna was a dream pop/indie rock band formed in 1991 by Dean Wareham after the breakup of Galaxie 500, with Stanley Demeski formerly of The Feelies and Justin Harwood formerly of the New Zealand band The Chills. Described by Rolling Stone magazine as “the best band you’ve never heard of,” Luna blended nuanced guitar work, shading dynamics, and Wareham's wry wit. The original line-up was expanded with the addition of guitarist Sean Eden for their second album, 1994's Bewitched. Lee Wall replaced Demeski on drums in time for 1997's Pup Tent, and Britta Phillips of The Belltower (also known as the singing voice of animated character Jem) joined when bassist Justin Harwood departed in 2000. They played their final concert at the Bowery Ballroom in New York City on February 28, 2005. Phillips and Wareham became romantically involved and eventually married in 2007.Read More...
In 1991, after the end of Galaxie 500's US tour supporting the Cocteau Twins, Dean Wareham told his bandmates Damon Krukowski and Naomi Yang that he was quitting the band. Wareham then signed a demo deal with Elektra Records and recorded a number of tracks with Mercury Rev drummer Jimmy Chambers. Some of these recordings were later released on the "Anesthesia" single on No.6 Records in the US and Mint Tea in the UK under the name "Dean Wareham."
Elektra's VP of A&R, Terry Tolkin, was impressed and Wareham signed a deal with Elektra, and started pulling together a band. He first contacted Justin Harwood, whom he had met while Harwood was playing with The Chills, and they recruited drummer Byron Guthrie. The trio recorded demos (produced by Dave Fridmann) and played a series of live dates with Mercury Rev guitarist Grasshopper. Guthrie was replaced by former Feelies drummer Stanley Demeski, and this line-up recorded the first album, Lunapark, produced by Fred Maher and released by Elektra under the name Luna² to avoid confusion with a new-age musician known as "Luna." (Later an accord was reached which allowed the band to use the name Luna.)
Shortly after the release of Lunapark, the band placed an advertisement in the Village Voice for a guitarist, and Canadian former drama student Sean Eden was recruited. The new four-piece recorded a number of cover versions that would become the Slide EP, and then toured the US. In mid-1993 the band supported the reformed Velvet Underground on their European tour, after which they recorded their second album. Bewitched was recorded in New York City and co-produced by the band with Victor Van Vugt. Velvet Underground guitarist Sterling Morrison played guitar on two tracks. The album was released in 1994.
In 1995 the band went into Sorcerer Sound studio in New York City with producer Pat McCarthy and engineer Mario Salvati to record their third album Penthouse. The album featured Television guitarist Tom Verlaine on the tracks "Moon Palace" and "23 Minutes in Brussels." "23 Minutes in Brussels" plays at the opening of a short film "The H is O" by Adam McKay, which aired on Saturday Night Live. The album was released in August 1995 to critical acclaim, with Rolling Stone declaring it one of the essential albums of the 90s. The album featured a cover of Serge Gainsbourg's Bonnie and Clyde as a hidden track, the song featured Laetitia Sadier of Stereolab duetting with Dean Wareham. Bonnie and Clyde was released as a single in the UK and was named Melody Maker single of the week.
Luna recorded a cover version of Paula Abdul's "Straight Up" for Engine Room Recordings' compilation album Guilt by Association, which was released in September 2007.
Pup Tent (1997)
The Days of Our Nights (1999)
Luna Live (Live album) (2001)
Best of Luna (2006)
Lunafied (Available as download and Best of Luna bonus disc)
EP (1997) (Australian release consisting of mostly live songs from Pup Tent)
Close Cover Before Striking (2002).
This Time Around
Chinatown (Radio Edit)/Chinatown (Album Version) (1995)
Hedgehog/23 Minutes in Brussels/No Regrets/Happy New Year (1995)
Bonnie & Clyde (Bonnie Parker Version)/Chinatown/Thank You For Sending me an Angel/Bonnie & Clyde (Clyde Barrow Version) (1995)
Bonnie & Clyde/Chinatown (1995)
Season of the Witch (Edit) (1996)
Season of the Witch/Indian Summer/Lost in Space/23 Minutes in Brussels (1996)
Bobby Peru (Radio Edit)/Audio Biography (1997)
IHOP/Fuzzy Wuzzy/Words without Wrinkles (1997)
Bobby Peru/In the Flesh/Beggar's Bliss (Demo)/Bob le Flambeur (1997)
Hedgehog/23 Minutes in Brussels (1997)
Beautiful View/Bobby Peru(U.S. Radio Edit)/California (Live) (1998)
Superfreaky Memories/Neon Lights/the Bad Vibe Merchant (1999)
Lovedust/Black Postcards/Only Women Bleed (2002)
Speedbumps/Astronaut/Eyes in my smoke (2004)
2) Luna was a new wave band from Novi Sad, Serbia, formed by poet Slobodan Tišma in 1981, after the breakup of Tišma's earlier band, La Strada. During the late 1981 former Pekinška Patka members Zoran Bulatović Bale (guitar) and Marko Vukomanović Mare (bass) with former La Strada members Slobodan Tišma (vocals) and Ivan Fece Firchie (drums) joined together and formed Luna.
3)Luna is a well-known Dutch Hardstyle/Hardcore producer and deejay. His scene breakthrough came when he was discovered in 1999 by Q-Dance. He has played at many famous events, such as Sensation Black, Defqon.1, In Qontrol and many more.
4) Luna was a Spanish "tecno-pop" group from the region of Castilla Y León, active during the height of the "La Nueva Ola ("The New Wave") in the early 1980s. The group released only one full-length album on M.R. Records and a handful of singles, only one of which was not related to the initial self-titled LP in 1983.
5) LUNA (ルナ) is also a female japanese artist. For scrobbling purposes, please use ＬＵＮＡ.
6) Luna is the solo project of peruvian singer Natasha Luna. But Now is Only "Natasha Luna, changes your tags.
7) LUNA is the sole member of the circle GUNFIRE who arranges Touhou songs.
8) Luna is Luna B. Ziegler, a German new age musician who released two solo albums on the Nightingale label (Moving Moments 1989, Time Dreaming 1995) and worked with Anugama on several albums with new age adaptations of well known classical pieces.
9) Luna is a Serbian pop group, founded in 1998. Curent members are Čeda Čvorak, Lidija Jadžić and Ivana Krunić.
10) LUNA is a Japanese R&B musician.
11) Luna is also a one-man funeral doom metal project from Kiev, Ukraine formed in 2013.
He released one full-length album titled Ashes to Ashes containing one track of nearly 1 hour duration in the kind of Monolithe.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- LyricsWell, she followed him from Phoenix out to Californ
And then she passed out on the bed
And all the little things he never even asked her for
She simply smiled and shook her head
Why can't we smile just like we used to?
- Straight Up - 29,036 plays
- LyricsSweet obscenity, bring her back to me
Lost in her perfume, think I'm gonna sue
Sweet obscenity, didn't I know it?
Didn't I call her name?
Stale cigarettes crumble in your fingers
- LyricsLeft my hotel in the city
Everythin' was clear and set
You were on your way and sittin' pretty
That was just a bait and switch
Say a prayer for you and me
- LyricsThen I painted your face
On a twenty dollar bill
But it isn't legal tender
And I think about you still
And all the comfort in words
- Chinatown - 45,368 plays
- Friendly Advice - 38,561 plays
- Bewitched - 38,853 plays
- Moon Palace - 39,177 plays
- Lost In Space - 38,677 plays