22 Shouts - 897,367 Scrobbles
Lionel Leo Hampton (1908–2002), was a U.S. bandleader, jazz percussionist, and vibraphonist. Hampton was born on 20th April 1908 in Louisville, Kentucky, but moved to Chicago as a child, where he began his career as a drummer. He relocated to Los Angeles to play drums in Les Hite's band. They soon became the house band for Frank Sebastian's New Cotton Club, a popular L.A. jazz club. During a 1930 recording date in the NBC studios in L.A., Louis Armstrong discovered a vibraphone. He asked Hampton if he could play it.
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- The Sheik Of Araby - (3:18) - 2,618 plays
- It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't That Swing) - (4:55) - 2,589 plays
- Flying Home - (3:10) - 1,727 plays
- Boogie Woogie Santa Claus - (2:43) - 1,312 plays
- Love For Sale - (3:29) - 606 plays
- Lavender Coffin - (2:47) - 834 plays
- Merry Christmas Baby - (3:17) - 544 plays
- On the Sunny Side of the Street - (2:44) - 682 plays
- Hey! Ba-Ba-Re-Bop - (3:22) - 446 plays
- Midnight Sun - (3:26) - 434 plays