22 Shouts - 838,233 Scrobbles
Lionel Leo Hampton (1908–2002), was a U.S. bandleader, jazz percussionist, and vibraphonist. Hampton was born on 20th April 1908 in Louisville, Kentucky, but moved to Chicago as a child, where he began his career as a drummer. He relocated to Los Angeles to play drums in Les Hite's band. They soon became the house band for Frank Sebastian's New Cotton Club, a popular L.A. jazz club. During a 1930 recording date in the NBC studios in L.A., Louis Armstrong discovered a vibraphone. He asked Hampton if he could play it.
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- The Sheik Of Araby - (3:18) - 2,845 plays
- It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't That Swing) - (4:55) - 2,893 plays
- Flying Home - (3:10) - 2,479 plays
- On The Sunny Side Of The Street - (2:44) - 963 plays
- Ring Dem Bells - (3:21) - 787 plays
- Lavender Coffin - (2:47) - 767 plays
- Midnight Sun - (3:26) - 569 plays
- It Don't Mean a Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing - (3:12) - 489 plays
- Hamp's Boogie Woogie - (3:18) - 462 plays
- Lullaby Of Birdland - (3:04) - 483 plays