22 Shouts - 847,235 Scrobbles
Lionel Leo Hampton (1908–2002), was a U.S. bandleader, jazz percussionist, and vibraphonist. Hampton was born on 20th April 1908 in Louisville, Kentucky, but moved to Chicago as a child, where he began his career as a drummer. He relocated to Los Angeles to play drums in Les Hite's band. They soon became the house band for Frank Sebastian's New Cotton Club, a popular L.A. jazz club. During a 1930 recording date in the NBC studios in L.A., Louis Armstrong discovered a vibraphone. He asked Hampton if he could play it.
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- The Sheik Of Araby - (3:18) - 3,124 plays
- It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't That Swing) - (4:55) - 3,068 plays
- Flying Home - (3:10) - 2,597 plays
- On the Sunny Side of the Street - (2:44) - 908 plays
- Lavender Coffin - (2:47) - 756 plays
- Ring Dem Bells - (3:21) - 736 plays
- Midnight Sun - (3:26) - 551 plays
- It Don't Mean a Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing - (3:12) - 499 plays
- Hamp's Boogie Woogie - (3:18) - 437 plays
- Lullaby Of Birdland - (4:17) - 460 plays