21 Shouts - 800,673 Scrobbles
Lionel Leo Hampton (1908–2002), was a U.S. bandleader, jazz percussionist, and vibraphonist. Hampton was born on 20th April 1908 in Louisville, Kentucky, but moved to Chicago as a child, where he began his career as a drummer. He relocated to Los Angeles to play drums in Les Hite's band. They soon became the house band for Frank Sebastian's New Cotton Club, a popular L.A. jazz club. During a 1930 recording date in the NBC studios in L.A., Louis Armstrong discovered a vibraphone. He asked Hampton if he could play it.
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Flying home - (3:10) - 2,656 plays
- Boogie Woogie Santa Claus - (2:43) - 1,416 plays
- The Sheik of Araby - (3:18) - 1,034 plays
- On the sunny side of the street - (2:44) - 1,101 plays
- Ring Dem Bells - (3:21) - 1,222 plays
- It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't That Swing) - (4:55) - 994 plays
- Merry Christmas Baby - (3:17) - 791 plays
- Lavender Coffin - (2:47) - 832 plays
- Midnight Sun - (3:19) - 574 plays
- Hey! Ba-Ba-Re-Bop - (3:22) - 678 plays