0 Shouts - 38,401 Scrobbles
Larry Levan, (born Lawrence Philpott,1954 – 1992) is best known as a DJ at the Paradise Garage (New York) in the seventies. There he helped forge the house style known as "garage," a mix of disco, soul, gospel and house. Levan's eclectic approach to disco sets and remixes is legendary. He also collaborated in the studio, either as a remixer or, less frequently, as producer with some of the most important artists of the disco era, including Sister Sledge, Chaka Kahn, Patrice Rushen, Salsoul Studios, and Gwen Guthrie.Read More...
As well as being an in demand DJ, remixer & Producer he was responsible for two short lived, but original, groups, namely the Peech Boys & Man Friday both unsurprisingly were regulars on the Paradise Garage's turntables.
Larry Levan toured Japan in1992 & shortly after returning home, Levan voluntarily entered the hospital. He died four days later on November 8 of heart failure caused by endocarditis. In September 2004, Levan was inducted into the Dance Music Hall of Fame for his outstanding achievement as a DJ.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Heartbeat - 734 plays
- Is It All Over My Face-Loose Joints - 619 plays
- Paradise Change - 619 plays
- Havent You Heard Patrice Rushen - 525 plays
- Don't Make Me Wait-New York Citi Peech Boys - 406 plays
- No Frills-Taana Gardner - 392 plays
- Let's Go Dancin'-Sparque - 359 plays
- Serious Serius Sapce Party - 313 plays
- Weekend Phreek - 417 plays
- Work That Body-Taana Gardner - 324 plays