0 Shouts - 66,247 Scrobbles
There are at least two artists by the name of Justin Young:Read More...
1) Justin Kawika Young an American artist from Hawaii
2) Justin James Hayward-Young, a British artist who recorded as Jay Jay Pistolet and is now with The Vaccines.
1) Rising from the beautiful beaches and warm tropical atmosphere of the Hawaiian Islands, comes a young, poised, local recording artist with national appeal, potential, and aspirations. Justin Kawika Young is a gifted singer/song writer who, at this young age, has already experienced success in the Hawaiian music scene. After winning first place in a song writing contest in 1995, Justin was given the opportunity to record a local album. Working on the project, Justin gained experience and knowledge in all aspects of the recording process. Showing his versatility as a musician, Justin played keyboards, guitar, and ukulele, and wrote six of the ten songs on the record.
In March, 1996, Justin's debut album released at number three at Tower Records for Hawaiian albums and remained in the top ten for six weeks. Three of Justin's original songs were released, and each spent several weeks as one of the five most requested songs of the day on local radio stations. While promoting his album, Justin performed throughout the Islands. Most notable, was a performance at the Waikiki Shell in front of thousands while opening for the national Reggae group, Big Mountain. Justin has established a reputation in the Islands for his good music and gentle character.
In September of 1997, Justin released his much anticipated sophomore album "Soothe You". The album produced four number one radio hits across the Island chain. At the end of the year Justin was picked by one radio station as the number one new artist of 1997. He also received three Hawaiian Music Award including: "Best Performance By A Rhythm & Blues Artist", "New Artist of the Year", and Honorable Recognition for his version of the classic song "Crazy Love". In July of ‘98, Justin was selected by Brian McKnight to be one of two local opening acts for his Hawai`i concert.
Justin's third album, "My Eyes Adore You", shows his continued growth as a vocalist and songwriter. Many original songs appear on the album including a beautiful acoustic ballad called "Was It Loneliness", and a Hawaiian falsetto song inspired by his home called "E Kailua E". Justin also brings a fresh vibe to John Denver's "Leaving On A Jet Plane", new lyrics to Frankie Vallie's classic "My Eyes Adore You", and a smooth R&B flow to the Bee Gees' and Hui Ohana's "Come On Over". Another highlight is an acoustic reggae collaboration with local recording group Pure Heart.
Justin's success in Hawaii has not lessened his desire to reach his ultimate goal. Justin's dream is to have the opportunity to share his unique, soothing music on a national level. His musical inspirations include: Stevie Wonder, Boyz II Men, Babyface, Brian McKnight. Justin also holds great admiration for the artistry and lyricism of Sarah McLachlan, Jewel and Fiona Apple. These influences combine with Justin's own expressions to create a distinct style. Shades of the laid-back lifestyle of the islands can be sensed in his mellow, relaxing, and soulful songs that combine old and new sounds.
Outside of music, Justin is a well rounded individual. As a senior in high school, Justin managed to maintain a 4.00 grade point average while recording his first album. He also received a scholarship from the Hawai`i Academy of Recording Arts which allowed him to take classes at the University of Hawai`i. Justin also enjoys athletic activities and recently completed the Tin Man Triathlon. Justin is raised by his single mother and he hopes to take some of her financial burden soon through music.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- On The Run - 4,432 plays
- The Girl From Ipanema - 3,545 plays
- All Attached - 3,467 plays
- Over And Over - 2,636 plays
- Turn My Heart - 3,245 plays
- Sideshow Attraction - 1,716 plays
- Orange Blue Sky - 1,767 plays
- Slow Fade - 1,433 plays
- Sand To Pearls - 1,080 plays
- Puzzle Pieces (feat. Colbie Caillat) - 3,315 plays