0 Shouts - 25,346 Scrobbles
Jonathan Harvey (born 3 May 1939 in Sutton Coldfield - died 5 December 2012) was a British composer.Read More...
He studied with Erwin Stein and Hans Keller at St John's College, Cambridge, eventually obtaining a PhD. Early musical influences included Schoenberg, Berg, Messiaen and Britten. While undertaking postgraduate study at Glasgow University, Harvey was a 'cellist in the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra. Around this time, he became interested in the music of Karlheinz Stockhausen. In 1969 he took up a Harkness Fellowship at Princeton University, where he encountered Milton Babbitt, another strong influence on his music. In the 1980s Harvey produced much music at IRCAM after receiving an invitation from Pierre Boulez to work there.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Mortuos plango, vivos voco - 2,919 plays
- Tombeau de Messiaen - 2,030 plays
- 4 Images after Yeats I - 1,859 plays
- Ritual Melodies - 1,339 plays
- 4 Images After Yeats II - 499 plays
- I love the Lord - 362 plays
- Come Holy Ghost - 316 plays
- Vers - 225 plays
- 4 Images after Yeats III - 228 plays
- 4 Images after Yeats IV - 185 plays