0 Shouts - 403,770 Scrobbles
1. John Paul Hammond (born 13th November 1942), also known as "John Hammond Jr", is a blues singer and guitarist. He usually plays acoustic guitars and dobros and sings in a barrelhouse style. Since 1962, when he made his debut on Vanguard Records, Hammond has made 29 albums. In the 1990s he recorded for the Pointblank label. Hammond has earned one Grammy Award and been nominated for four others. He is the son of the legendary record producer John H. Hammond.Read More...
Although critically acclaimed, John Hammond has had only moderate commercial success. Nonetheless, he enjoys a strong fan base and has earned respect from the likes of John Lee Hooker, Roosevelt Sykes, Duane Allman, Robbie Robertson, and Charlie Musselwhite, all of whom have contributed their musical talents to Hammond's records. In addition, he is the only person who ever had Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix in his band at the same time, even if it was only for five days in the 1960s when Hammond played the Gaslight Café in New York. To his regret, they never recorded together.
John Hammond has had a longstanding friendship with songwriter Tom Waits, and has performed Waits' songs on occasion. In 2001, he released Wicked Grin, an album entirely of Tom Waits compositions. Waits himself provided guitar work and backing vocals as well as producing the project.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Get Behind the Mule - 21,415 plays
- Heartattack and Vine - 17,450 plays
- Shake For Me - 16,007 plays
- Clap Hands - 13,825 plays
- Shore Leave - 12,682 plays
- I Wish You Would - 8,781 plays
- Buzz Fledderjohn - 9,710 plays
- Big Black Mariah - 9,232 plays
- Jockey Full of Bourbon - 10,701 plays
- Murder in the Red Barn - 7,777 plays