0 Shouts - 4,312 Scrobbles
Ira Gershwin (December 6, 1896 – August 17, 1983) was an American lyricist who collaborated with his younger brother, composer George Gershwin, to create some of the most memorable songs of the 20th century.Read More...
With George he wrote more than a dozen Broadway shows, featuring songs such as "I Got Rhythm", "Embraceable You", "The Man I Love" and "Someone to Watch Over Me", and the opera Porgy and Bess.
The success the brothers had with their collaborative works has often overshadowed the creative role that Ira played. However, his mastery of songwriting continued after the early death of George. He wrote additional hit songs with composers Jerome Kern ("Long Ago (and Far Away)"), Kurt Weill and Harold Arlen.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Someone to Watch over Me - 349 plays
- I Can't Get Started - 227 plays
- They Can't Take That Away from Me - 226 plays
- Oh, Lady Be Good - 209 plays
- Tschaikovsky (Lady In The Dark) - 156 plays
- 'S Wonderful - 170 plays
- i got rhythm - 151 plays
- A Foggy Day - 107 plays
- But Not for Me - 107 plays
- strike up the band - 108 plays