Illusion of Safety
0 Shouts - 54,584 Scrobbles
Illusion Of Safety intrepidly charts the terra incognita where sound, silence, noise and music intersect. Using
conventional instruments, sound generating devices and random objects, IOS hews sonic sculptures that
deliberately provoke, mesmerize and even affront listeners.
Illusion Of Safety has been the ongoing project of Daniel Burke since 1983, working with numerous individuals in various combinations of one to 10 members. Their work has been continually evolving, never settling into an easy niche. Each collaborator has brought their own unique perspective to the project. Since 1991 IOS have released 20 CDs on labels such as Die Stadt, Silent, OddSize, Staalplaat, Soleilmoon, Manifold, Tesco, Ossosnossos, and Complacency. At times their work has been called ambient, post-industrial, electro-acoustic, electronica, noise, sound collage, improvisation, and power electronics. Unable to categorize their work into one style, each release, live performance, and sometimes individual piece often shifts abruptly from one atmosphere to another.
Daniel Burke is currently working with electronic synthesis, computer composition, and manipulation of historical musical references and highly amplified handled objects. Burke uses semi-recognizable preexisting structural elements and rearrangements of the “language of error” to convey external stimuli and personal internal context. The results are destroyed music, broken sound, disturbed ambience and the quest for the sublime.
DANIEL BURKE'S ARTIST STATEMENT:
The work represents not only my internal world but the world as I perceive it. I work toward truth and often use brutal honesty in mirroring my own state of mind and what I experience of society & civilization. The work represents my interest in the duality, contradictions, and ironies of the world we live in, the human condition and my own state of mind. I explore my fascination with the necessities of balance and the nature of dichotomy: chaos vs. tranquility, sacred vs. profane, subtleties vs. obviousness, and the ugly vs. an all pervasive beauty. My hope is that other people can relate to the work on an emotional, and intuitive level, while appreciating my aesthetic interest in exploring the ineffable. To illiustrate & illuminate psychological processes and personal/interpersonal relationship. To activate modes of perception to facilitate direct access of the psyche, emotion, and the infinite.
Selected discography (CDs only):
1. Historical 1991 Staalplaat
2. Inside Agitator 1992 Complacency
3. Cancer 1992 Tesco
4. Probe 1993 Staalplaat
5. Fifteen/Finite Material Context 1993 Functional
6. Water Seeks Its Own Level 1994 Silent
7. Distraction 1994 Odd Size
8. Rules Of The Game 1995 em13n (3" CD)
9. In Our Little Bodies 1995 Old Europa Cafe (split CD with Randy Greif)
10. From Nothing To Less 1995 Complacency
11. Guru Means Slayer Of Darkness 1996 Manifold (split CD with Hands To and Beequeen)
12. Mort Aux Vaches 1996 Staalplaat
13. Of & The 1997 Soleilmoon (double CD)
14. Bad Karma 1998 Soleilmoon
15. Mort Aux Vauches 2 1999 Staalplaat
16. The Nature Of Sand 2000 Manifold (live IOS collaborations with Voice Of Eye
& members of Life Garden from 1995)
17. ...odds 2001 No label (CD-R created to be sold primarily at live performances, a signed & numbered limited edition of 200)
18. In Opposition To Our Acceleration 2001 Die Stadt
19. More Violence And Geography 2002 Die Stadt (Re-issue of 1987 cassette)
20. Time Remaining 2003 Ossosnossos
21. Sedation & Quell 2008 C.I.P./Complacency 10" vinyl 500 copies