0 Shouts - 1,804,521 Scrobbles
There are at least two bands by this name.Read More...
1. A Brooklyn, New York-based band who fuse together a mix of traditional American music with contemporary styles. The group draw influences from a variety of musical genres, particularly folk, country, alt-country, americana and rock.
Hem are sometimes described as 'chamber-folk', due to their combination of orchestral and folk instrumentation; some critics have also tagged them as 'countrypolitan'.
Band members include Sally Ellyson (vocals), Daniel Messé (piano, accordion, glockenspiel), Gary Maurer (guitar, mandolin), Steve Curtis (guitar, mandolin, banjo, backing vocals), Catherine Popper (bass guitar), Mark Brotter (drums), Bob Hoffnar (pedal steel guitar), Heather Zimmerman (violin), and later Dawn Landes (backing vocals, glockenspiel).
www.hemmusic.com and www.myspace.com/hem
2. A Leeds, UK band active in the mid-90s featuring Nicola Hodgkinson and Justine. Hem played mellow, minimal, and somewhat experimental pop. Nicola is best known as a member of Boyracer and Hood who would later form Empress.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- LyricsI am holding half an acre
Torn from the map of Michigan
And folded in this scrap of paper
Is a land I grew in
Think of every town you've lived in
- LyricsI should wake up this town
My heart's on fire
Main road and no one's around
As the flames climb higher
I have been here before
- LyricsSomeone's waving
There's fifty dollars on this pony
Chase him down these tracks
- LyricsWhen I was drinking, when I was with you
Living it up when the rent was due
With nothing and no one to live up to
You and me dying on the vine
Holding hands and drinking wine
- LyricsI'm not a sailor
I'm not so strong out of my shoes
Dragging like anchors
Over the ocean
Pearls in the sky strung 'round the moon
- All That I'm Good For - 51,499 plays
- The Fire Thief - 40,953 plays
- Lazy Eye - 44,746 plays
- Burying Song - 44,818 plays
- Stupid Mouth Shut - 41,474 plays