0 Shouts - 39,428,267 Scrobbles
Grimes is the name of more than one artists:Read More...
1) alias of the electronic musician Claire Boucher
2) alias of Grimes Adhesif
3) industrial noise, alias of Scott Candey
1) The electronic musician Claire Boucher was born in 17 March 1988 in Vancouver, Canada and is based in Montreal. Her music is an eclectic mix of styles which she described herself as "ADD music", because it shifts frequently and dramatically. She fuses contemporary instrumentation with classical vocal practices.
Boucher was born and raised in Vancouver, British Columbia. She graduated from Lord Byng Secondary School and studied ballet for 11 years. In 2006, she moved to Montreal, Canada to attend Montreal's McGill University, studying Russian literature and later, neuroscience. During her studies, she began to record and perform under the name Grimes. While in Montreal, she began attending concerts put on by local experimental musicians at Lab Synthèse, a performance space located in an abandoned textile factory. She stopped going to McGill and decided to pursue her long life dream of becoming an electronic musician.
Her first release was the album Geidi Primes, issued on cassette in 2010 by Arbutus Records. It was followed in the same year by the sophomore album Halfaxa, through Arbutus Records. In 2011, Grimes released a split album with d'Eon titled Darkbloom.
In January 2012, she had signed with record label 4AD. In February 2012, Grimes released her third studio album, Visions. The album incorporates influences as wide as Enya, TLC and Aphex Twin, drawing from genres like New Jack Swing, IDM, New Age, K-pop, Industrial and glitch.
Visions was met with critical acclaim and featured on many Best Albums of 2012 lists. The Guardian named Visions the second best album of 2012, calling it "a masterpiece in gonzo pop that is weird, original and derivative at the same time". The NME ranked the album at number two on its 50 Best Albums of 2012 list, while naming her best known songs "Oblivion" and "Genesis" the sixth and sixteenth best tracks of 2012, respectively.
Grimes herself cited various musicians as influences, including Skinny Puppy, Nine Inch Nails, Cocteau Twins, How to Dress Well, Swans, Outkast, K-pop, medieval music, industrial music.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- LyricsAnother walk about, after dark
It's my point of view
If someone could break your neck
Coming up behind you always coming and you'd never have a clue
And now I'm left behind, all the time
- LyricsMy heart will never feel
Will never see
Will never know
And then it falls
- LyricsI close my eyes until I see
I don't need hands to touch me
Be a Body
I lean on walls until I stand
I touch my face with my hand
- Lyricsoh baby I can't say
that I will be .
and I'm a .
and I don't know where to start from
but baby I can do
- LyricsIt's always coming,
It's always coming,
I know you're running away now,
but they won't get me,
he tried to get me,
- Infinite ❤ Without Fulfillment - 1,223,692 plays
- Vowels = Space and Time - 1,281,943 plays
- Visiting Statue - 1,175,641 plays
- Skin - 1,025,274 plays
- Symphonia IX (My Wait Is U) - 1,015,657 plays