Gerry & The Pacemakers
0 Shouts - 1,362,531 Scrobbles
Gerry Marsden formed Gerry & The Pacemakers in the late 1950s with his brother, Fred Marsden, Les Chadwick and Arthur Mack. They rivalled The Beatles early in their career, playing in the same areas of Hamburg, Germany and Liverpool, England. Mack was replaced on piano by Les Maguire around 1961. They are known to have rehearsed at Camell Laird shipping yard at Birkenhead.Read More...
They began recording in early 1963 with "How Do You Do It?", a Mitch Murray written song that both Adam Faith and The Beatles had turned down (in the latter case because they wanted to record their own material, specifically "Please Please Me"). The song became a number one hit, until being replaced at the top by The Beatles' third single, "From Me to You".
Gerry & the Pacemakers next two singles, Murray's "I Like It" and Rodgers and Hammerstein's "You'll Never Walk Alone", both also reached number one in the UK Singles Chart. Never before had the first three singles by a performer all reached the top spot (the feat would not be duplicated until Frankie Goes to Hollywood did it in the 1980s).
Despite this early success, Gerry & the Pacemakers never had another number one single in the U.S. Gerry Marsden began writing most of their own songs, including "It's All Right", "I'm the One", and "Ferry Cross the Mersey", as well as their first and biggest U.S. hit, "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying". All of these represented the band's light, poppy, enjoyable sound. They also starred in a moderately successful early 1965 film called Ferry Cross the Mersey, for which Marsden wrote much of the soundtrack.
By later in 1965, though, their popularity was rapidly declining on both sides of the Atlantic. They lacked the innovation of the Beatles and did not have the rawer musical and visual edge of some of the other British Invasion groups, and they soon seemed un-hip. They disbanded in October 1966 with much of their latter recorded material never released in the UK.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- LyricsWhen you walk through a storm, hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark
At the end of the storm, there's a golden sky
And the sweet, silver song of a lark
Walk on through the wind
- LyricsLife goes on day after day
Hearts torn in every way
So ferry 'cross the Mersey
'cause this land's the place I love
and here I'll stay
- LyricsDon't let the sun catch you cryin' The night's the time for all your tears Your heart may be broken tonight But tomorrow in the morning light Don't let the sun catch you cryin' The night-time shadows disappear And with them go all your tears For the morning will bring joy For every girl and boy So don't let the sun catch you cryin' We know that cryin's not a bad thing But stop your cryin' when the birds sing It may be hard to discover That you've been left for another But don't forget that love's a game And it can always come again Oh don't let the sun catch you cryin' Don't let the sun catch you cryin', oh no Oh, oh, oh
- LyricsHow do you do what you do to me, I wish i knew, If i knew how you do it to me, I'd do it to you, How do you do what you do to me, I'm feelin' blue, Wish I knew how you do it to me but I haven't a clue You give me a feeling in my heart, Like an arrow passing through it, Spose that you think you're very smart, But won't you tell me how do you do it How do you do what you do to me, If I only knew, Then perhaps you'd fall for me like I fell for you You give me a feeling in my heart, Like an arrow passing through it, Spose that you think you're very smart, But won't you tell me how do you do it How do you do what you do to me, If I only knew, Then perhaps you'd fall for me like I fell for you, When I do it to you
- LyricsI like it, I like it I like the way you run your fingers through my hair and I love the way you tickle my chin and I like the way you let me come in when your mommy's not there I like it, I like it I like the things you say and all the things you do and I like the way you straighten my tie and I like the way you're winking your eye and I know I like you and I know I like you Do that again you're driving me insane kiss me once more that's another thing I like you for I like it, I like it I like the funny feelings when I'm with you and I like you more with every day and I like to always hearing you say you're liking it too you're liking it too Do that again you're driving me insane kiss me once more that's another thing I like you for I like it, I like it I like the funny feelings when I'm with you with every day and I like to always hearing you say you're liking it too you're liking it too whoa, I like it are you liking it too?
- How Do You Do It? - 69,953 plays
- FERRY 'CROSS THE MERSEY - 26,250 plays
- I'm the One - 24,121 plays
- It's Gonna Be Alright - 21,846 plays
- I'll Be There - 19,693 plays