0 Shouts - 8,786 Scrobbles
Elsie Carlisle (28 January 1896 – November 1977) was a popular English female singer during the British dance band era of the 1920s and 1930s.Read More...
Originally from Manchester, Elsie recorded with many of the big dance bands of the time, as well as solo. She recorded very little after the beginning of the Second World War, and retired from the entertainment industry after about 1946. Her business interests included ballroom dancing venues in south London, a company manufacturing bar accessories, a pub in central London and a hotel/pub in Berkshire. She lived from 1939 until her death in November 1977 in her house in Mayfair in central London. Perhaps aptly, she also recorded the Manning Sherwin song "A nightingale sang in Berkeley Square" considered by many to be the best recording.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Exactly Like You - 1,760 plays
- Pu-Leeze! Mister Hemingway! - 1,529 plays
- The Clouds Will Soon Roll By - 1,023 plays
- I Love My Baby - 459 plays
- Two Sleepy People - 423 plays
- A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square - 271 plays
- Please Leave My Butter Alone - 362 plays
- A Nightingale Sang In Berkley Square - 310 plays
- A Nightingale Sang In Berekely Square - 100 plays
- You're My Everything - 75 plays