Dr. N. Ramani
0 Shouts - 11,841 Scrobbles
Dr. N. Ramani was one of the first Carnatic musicians to come to wider, Western attention. The Soul of Indian Flute (World Pacific WPS 21456) followed the release of Balachander's Sounds of the Veena Featuring the Flute of Ramani (WPS 21436).Read More...
He was born in 1934 in Tiruvarur in Tamil Nadu, the birthplace of the Tyagaraja, Muttuswamy Dikshitar and Syama Sastri trinity. From early boyhood he studied with his grandfather A.N. Iyer and then T.R. Mahalingam, both respected flautists. By the age of 12 he was accomplished enough to be performing on All India Radio. He has occasionally duetted with the Hindustani flautist Hariprasad Chaurasia -- the first occasion was 1971. Other jugalbandis have included partnerships with the vocalists Balamurali Krishna and Pandit Jasraj, the violinist T.N. Krishnan and the sarodist Amjad Ali Khan. He has pursued a parallel recording career for a variety of labels including EMI India and Magnasound/OMI and Shankar.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Jayajaya: Raga Des - 1,228 plays
- Dhun (Raga: Pahadi; Tala: Malkauns) - 1,115 plays
- Ishapateesha (Raga Mohana) - 930 plays
- Manasu Visaya: Raga Natakuranji - 776 plays
- Ninnade - 653 plays
- Pallavi Ragamalika - 241 plays
- Jyoti Velligindi (Raga Pantuvarali) - 214 plays
- Endaro Mahanubhavulu - 2,211 plays
- Nadololudai: Raga Kalyanavasanta - 76 plays
- Nadololudai - 111 plays