1,908 Shouts - 46,460,113 Scrobbles
Dire Straits were a british rock band from Newcastle, United Kingdom, formed in 1977 by Mark Knopfler (guitar and vocals), his brother David Knopfler (guitar), John Illsley (bass), and Pick Withers (drums), and subsequently managed by Ed Bicknell. Dire Straits emerged during the post-punk era of the late '70s, and while their sound was minimalistic and stripped down, they owed little to punk. If anything, the band was a direct outgrowth of the roots revivalism of pub rock, but where pub rock celebrated good times, Dire Straits were melancholy.
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- LyricsYou get a shiver in the dark
It's raining in the park but meantime
South of the river you stop and you hold everything
A band is blowing Dixie double four time
You feel alright when you hear that music ring
- Lyrics(I want my MTV)
Now look at them yo-yo's that's the way you do it
You play the guitar on the M.T.V.
That ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Money for nothin' and your chicks for free.
- LyricsHere comes Johnny singing oldies, goldies
Be, bop, a, lua, baby, what I say
Here comes Johnny singing I gotta woman
Down in the tunnels, trying to make it pay
He got the action, he got the motion
- LyricsThese mist covered mountains
Are a home now for me
But my home is the lowlands
And always will be
Some day you'll return to
- LyricsA lovestruck Romeo, sings the streetside serenade
Laying everybody low with a love song that he made
Finds a streetlight, steps out of the shade
Says something like, You and me, babe, how about it?
Juliet says, Hey, it's Romeo, you nearly gave me a heart attack
- So Far Away - (4:00) - 50,672 plays
- Your Latest Trick - (6:30) - 48,071 plays
- Lady Writer - (3:46) - 38,292 plays
- Private Investigations - (6:46) - 37,206 plays
- Tunnel of Love - (8:08) - 38,955 plays
- GRAMMY 2015 Performers Include Ariana Grande, Ed Sheeran…and Prince?
- One Direction Tops Billboard’s 100 Artists Of 2014 List
- Pharrell, Ed Sheeran Announce 2015 GRAMMY Awards Nominees
- Jennifer Lawrence’s “The Hanging Tree” Pops Up On Singles Chart
- Eminem’s Completely Different “Lose Yourself” Demo Surfaces Online