1,869 Shouts - 43,392,972 Scrobbles
Dire Straits were a british rock band from Newcastle, United Kingdom, formed in 1977 by Mark Knopfler (guitar and vocals), his brother David Knopfler (guitar), John Illsley (bass), and Pick Withers (drums), and subsequently managed by Ed Bicknell. Dire Straits emerged during the post-punk era of the late '70s, and while their sound was minimalistic and stripped down, they owed little to punk. If anything, the band was a direct outgrowth of the roots revivalism of pub rock, but where pub rock celebrated good times, Dire Straits were melancholy.
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Sultans of Swing - (5:49) - 277,598 plays
- Money for Nothing - (8:25) - 166,389 plays
- Walk of Life - (4:09) - 140,420 plays
- Brothers in Arms - (6:58) - 142,646 plays
- LyricsA lovestruck Romeo, sings the streetside serenade
Laying everybody low with a love song that he made
Finds a streetlight, steps out of the shade
Says something like, You and me, babe, how about it?
Juliet says, Hey, it's Romeo, you nearly gave me a heart attack
- So Far Away - (4:00) - 62,452 plays
- Your Latest Trick - (6:30) - 50,630 plays
- Lady Writer - (3:46) - 49,559 plays
- Tunnel of Love - (8:08) - 48,897 plays
- Private Investigations - (6:46) - 44,699 plays