1,866 Shouts - 42,959,564 Scrobbles
Dire Straits were a british rock band from Newcastle, United Kingdom, formed in 1977 by Mark Knopfler (guitar and vocals), his brother David Knopfler (guitar), John Illsley (bass), and Pick Withers (drums), and subsequently managed by Ed Bicknell. Dire Straits emerged during the post-punk era of the late '70s, and while their sound was minimalistic and stripped down, they owed little to punk. If anything, the band was a direct outgrowth of the roots revivalism of pub rock, but where pub rock celebrated good times, Dire Straits were melancholy.
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Sultans of Swing - (5:49) - 270,108 plays
- Money for Nothing - (8:25) - 165,183 plays
- Walk of Life - (4:09) - 139,653 plays
- Brothers in Arms - (6:58) - 140,512 plays
- Romeo and Juliet - (6:00) - 104,974 plays
- So Far Away - (4:00) - 62,474 plays
- Your Latest Trick - (6:30) - 50,275 plays
- Lady Writer - (3:46) - 49,550 plays
- Tunnel of Love - (8:08) - 48,813 plays
- Private Investigations - (6:46) - 44,176 plays