0 Shouts - 990,751 Scrobbles
Deadsy was formed in 1995 by Elijah Blue Allman, the son of Cher and Greg Allman. Using the stage name Philips Exeter Blue I he recorded some demos with Alec Puro and later sent a Roland Juno-106 keyboard to Renn as an invitation to join the band. Deadsy signed to Sire Records, recruiting Jay Gordon of the band Orgy, to play bass their eponymous debut album. After the album was recorded and released to the press Gordon was replaced by Craig Riker joined on bass as a full time member, and they were once again writing songs for the upcoming full length Commencement. Only a few songs were written for the new album as the band had planned to re-release most tracks from the self-titled album. A music video for "She Likes Big Words" was made at one of their early shows, also for promotion. With the album in the final stages of development, Sire parted ways with Elektra Records, and the release was pushed back to a later date. Soon after, Deadsy was dropped from the label entirely, ending the life of both the first and would-be second album, Commencement. Some promotional copies of the self-titled album are still floating around.
Elementree Records, The Release of Commencement (1999-2003)---
While in the process of finding a new label, Carlton Bost was added on z-tars and guitar. Ashburn Miller replaced Craig on bass January 2002 after Craig and Deadsy parted ways. Jonathan Davis (of the band Korn) signed Deadsy to the new record label Elementree Records, to release Commencement. Most songs came from the self-titled album, but some were newly written for the album, including "The Key To Gramercy Park", for which a video was made, directed by friend and Limp Bizkit frontman Fred Durst, as well as being the band's second song with Jonathan Davis. Davis invited the band to join the 2001 Family Values Tour before their album had even been released. This move helped build the fan base and helped the band onto the tour soundtrack. After the album's release, the band made a second music video for their cover of Sebadoh's "Brand New Love".
The Release of Phantasmagore, Current (2003-2008)
Deadsy signed onto Immortal Records to release Phantasmagore in 2006 . During the 4-year process of writing the album, Deadsy released clips and demos on their official website. Deadsy was asked back to the Family Values Tour in the summer of 2006, which was co-headlined by the Deftones and Korn. Deadsy went on another tour with the Deftones in the fall/winter. In January 2007, Deadsy parted ways with bassist Ashburn Miller ("Creature"), and added Jens Funke to the line up.
In February 2007, a short statement from Elijah was posted on the band's message board: "I am making a solo record." Recently, Carlton has joined The Dreaming full time. On April 16, 2007, a MySpace bulletin was posted with a statement by Alec Pure whom had this to say: "As you all know we are going to be taking a short break from Deadsy so Elijah can make a solo record and I can continue scoring projects I wasn't able to do from the road."
In early 2008, "Elijah Blue and the Trapezoids" was revealed as the name of Elijah's solo project.
Musical Style and Themes
Elijah describes the band's low and dissonant style as Undercore. Elijah's low baritone singing style, down-tuned guitars, Dr. Nner's synths and Carlton's Z-tar form the overall sound of the band.
"We wanted to make something that was transcendental, really rule-defying, and very against the grain. And when people listened to it at first, it would just feel very like a sense of foreignness, almost like watching a David Lynch film." - Elijah Blue
The lyrics and imagery of the songs sometimes focus on many subjects in either sexual, religious, magical or popular culture contexts. Occasionally one notices obscure references to artifacts such as Secret Societies, The Urantia Book, Star Wars, the novel Dune by Frank Herbert, Disney's 101 Dalmatians and themes like wealth, esoterica, and pedophilia.
Elijah has often called the band an "art project", or "art movement". Complete with a manifesto (available on their site), and visual iconography. Each band member represents one element or "Entity" that drives human society. Each entity is also represented by their own color and unique appearance.
International Klein Blue - Academia (Elijah Blue Allman aka P. Exeter Blue the 1st)
Yellow - Science / Medicine (Renn Hawkey aka Dr. Nner)
Green - Leisure (Alec Puro aka Alec Püre)
Grey - War (Carlton Bost aka Carlton Megalodon)
Red - Horror (Jens "Creature" Funke) (Ashburn "Creature" Miller) (Craig "The Beast" Riker **archetypus**)
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- LyricsA modern day warrior
Mean, mean stride
Today's Tom Sawyer
Mean, mean pride
Though his mind is not for rent
- LyricsI got the key, key to Gramercy Park
Looking for the fight
Thoughts on the left
The action's on the right
- LyricsThe desperate eyes are closed maybe it goes away
Please rest tomorrow and bring a satisfied day
The restless urge of love that's worth the burning for
Surely it's that one comforting love to give you more
And that thought can be that begins the brand new tangled web your spinning
- LyricsWell she comes from the land Of Valencian winds Deciduous daydream See sometimes just maybe The mistress of when Dressage round the bend A triptych of new touch From heaven to men Invisible trends She likes nice cars She bites the heads off Her mutual friends We dine at the table She sits at the end She likes big words And playing pretend Come now dear boys How, where to begin? Of the prison within She's Ursula, major Your sashes of New-Ro She's always in parties She's struggling to win From psychic to sin Your need to defend So pseudo-mindacious Let down your void She's cruel in bed You'd think she was precious Something like you said Cause she's got the secret In which fate depends She likes nice cars Impossible trends She bites the heads off Her beautiful friends We dine at the table She likes big words She sits at the end Although we'll never comprehend She likes nice cars Invisible trends She bites the heads off Her musical friends We dine at the table She sits at the end She likes big words She likes nice cars She bites the heads off Her beautiful friends Impossible trends She lights all the candles She likes the ones They burn at both ends That you'll never understand She likes big words
- LyricsI see a red door and I want it painted black
No colors anymore, I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes
I see a line of cars and they're all painted black
- Mansion World - 44,594 plays
- winners - 38,299 plays
- Cruella - 35,391 plays
- Carrying Over - 39,627 plays
- Lake Waramaug - 31,575 plays