0 Shouts - 85,042 Scrobbles
David Lynn Thomas (born 1953 in Miami, Florida) is an American singer, songwriter, and musician.Read More...
He was one of the founding members of the short-lived protopunkers Rocket From The Tombs (1974-1975) and of post-punk group Pere Ubu (1975 - present, intermittently). He has also released several solo albums. Though primarily a singer, he sometimes plays melodeon, trombone, guitar or other instruments.
Thomas has described his artistic focus as being the "gestalt of culture, geography and sound".  Common themes crop up throughout much of his work, such as the US Interstate Highway system, images of roadside or "junk" tourist culture, Brian Wilson, AM Radio, and many others.
Something of a cult figure, Thomas's high pitched voice is one of the most distinctive in rock music; Emerson Dameron memorably described Thomas's singing as "Jimmy Stewart trapped in an oboe", while Greil Marcus writes that "Mr Thomas's voice is that of a man muttering in a crowd. You think he's talking to himself until you realize he's talking to you."
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Dan Dan - 12,703 plays
- What Do We Do With The Drunken Sailor - 5,041 plays
- What Do We Do With A Drunken Sailor - 3,600 plays
- Monster Magee, King Of The Seas - 1,162 plays
- The Messiah, HWV 56 - Part 2, "The Passion": Aria (Soprano): "How beautiful are the feet of them" - 939 plays
- What Happened To Me - 1,607 plays
- Way Down The Old Plank Road - 958 plays
- My Town - 1,314 plays
- Coffee Train - 930 plays
- Monster Walks The Winter Lake - 1,012 plays