0 Shouts - 10,973,438 Scrobbles
There are multiple artists named "Cults":Read More...
1. Cults is an indie pop duo based in New York City, consisting of Madeline Follin (vocals) and Brian Oblivion (guitar and vocals). The film-students-turned-musicians from San Diego create a nostalgic buzz with their 1960s-sounding tunes about love and loneliness.
At the age of twelve, Madeline Follin was offered a record deal with Recess Records after hanging out in the studio with her stepfather, Paul Kostabi's band Youth Gone Mad. However, her parents declined. Oblivion and Follin originally formed The Cults as an outlet for their music experiment and a fortnight after posting their electro-pop breakout tune, "Go Outside", to their bandcamp.com site, the song landed on Pitchfork, and the duo received emails from interested record labels.
The band signed to ITNO/Columbia and Forest Family Records in 2010 and have been parlaying a momentum from successful appearances at South by Southwest and FYF Festivals 2010, in support of their self-titled debut album released in May 2011.
The duo are best known for their debut single "Go Outside", which was named Best New Music by Pitchfork. According to Pitchfork, " 'Go Outside' has the innocent and balmy feel that brings to mind Swedish indie pop, with a tinkling glockenspiel cutting through humidity, an appealingly lazy bass line, and joyous sing-along vocals.' Released as a limited edition 7" on bright yellow vinyl, the single (b/w 'Most Wanted') sold out at the pre-order stage and re-pressing. It can be heard and downloaded for free at bandcamp.com.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- LyricsI really want to go out
I really want to go outside and stop to see your day
You really want to hole up
You really want to stay inside and sleep the light away
I really want to go out
- LyricsI , I can't take things slowly
Come let away, that's what they all do
Help me cause I'm feeling shaky
Tell me whats wrong with my brain
Cause I seem to have lost it
- Abducted - 1,253,085 plays
- Most Wanted - 791,092 plays
- LyricsOh my god, I'm stuck inside the same position
I'm so tired of sitting around here with my boring life
Wishing I could find another name to go by
Late at night I'm dreaming about a time where I could change my side
Please don't tell me you know the rules to go by
- Walk At Night - 570,110 plays
- Never Heal Myself - 588,427 plays
- Bumper - 545,162 plays
- Never Saw The Point - 547,140 plays
- Bad Things - 477,235 plays