637 Shouts - 8,910,453 Scrobbles
With their light, airy melodies and meticulously crafted, clean arrangements, the Carpenters stood in direct contrast with the excessive, gaudy pop/rock of the '70s; yet they became one of the most popular artists of the decade, scoring 12 Top Ten hits, including three number one singles. Karen Carpenter's calm, often somber voice was the most distinctive element of their music, settling in perfectly amidst the precise, lush arrangements provided by her brother Richard.
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- (They Long to Be) Close to You - (3:41) - 19,830 plays
- We've Only Just Begun - (3:05) - 16,059 plays
- Top of the World - (3:00) - 14,476 plays
- LyricsLong ago, and, oh, so far away
I fell in love with you before the second show
Your guitar, it sounds so sweet and clear
But you're not really here, it's just the radio
Don't you remember, you told me you loved me baby?
- LyricsWhen I was young
I'd listen to the radio
Waitin' for my favorite songs
When they played I'd sing along
It made me smile
- Rainy Days and Mondays - (3:38) - 10,276 plays
- Please Mr. Postman - (2:52) - 7,861 plays
- Goodbye to Love - (4:00) - 5,837 plays
- Sing - (3:18) - 4,322 plays
- Only Yesterday - (3:47) - 5,599 plays