780 Shouts - 23,765,651 Scrobbles
Billie Holiday (Eleanora Fagan Gough, Philadelphia, PA, April 7, 1915 – New York City, NY, July 17, 1959) was an American jazz singer and songwriter. Nicknamed Lady Day by her loyal friend and musical partner Lester Young, Holiday was a highly original influence on jazz and pop singing. Her vocal style, strongly inspired by jazz instrumentalists, pioneered a new way of manipulating phrasing and tempo. Above all, she was admired for her deeply personal and intimate approach to singing.
User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License and may also be available under the GNU FDL.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- LyricsSouthern trees bear strange fruit
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees
Pastoral scene of the gallant south
- LyricsSummertime and the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin' and the cotton is high
Oh, your daddy's rich and your ma is good lookin'
So hush little baby, don't you cry
One of these mornings, you're goin' to rise up singin'
- LyricsAll of me
Why not take all of me
Can't you see
I'm no good without you
Take my lips
- Easy Living - (3:03) - 25,217 plays
- God Bless the Child - (15:41) - 20,541 plays
- The Way You Look Tonight - (3:02) - 12,995 plays
- I'm a Fool to Want You - (3:25) - 16,122 plays
- My Man - (2:52) - 13,545 plays
- Gloomy Sunday - (3:09) - 17,021 plays
- Crazy He Calls Me - (3:05) - 13,785 plays