0 Shouts - 4,331,977 Scrobbles
There is more than one band named Asia.Read More...
1) Asia is a progressive rock supergroup that was formed in the spring of 1981 by bassist and vocalist John Wetton (from King Crimson and UK), guitarist Steve Howe (from Yes), drummer Carl Palmer (from Emerson, Lake & Palmer), and keyboardist Geoffrey Downes (from Buggles and Yes). The band sold over nine million albums worldwide with their first release, 'Asia', which included the international rock hits "Heat of the Moment" and "Only Time Will Tell".
Drawing inspiration from eccentric art rock as well as tuneful pop rock and other sources, the band's first album was certified multi-platinum, and the follow-up, 'Alpha', proved almost as influential. Asia's popularity was boosted immensely by the success of the U.S. number one hit "Don't Cry." Still, the mix of commitments of the band's members contributed to group instability, as did corporate pressure for continual sales. Frontman John Wetton left the band completely in late 1983, sporadically returning in later stints. By 1990, Asia released its fourth album, called 'Then & Now', with the only original member Geoffrey Downes continuing under the band's name along new bassist, vocalist, and producer John Payne.
Asia / Asia featuring John Payne toured and released marginally commercially successful albums, the last being the band's 11th album 'Silent Nation'. Said record notably included guitarist Guthrie Govan and drummer Chris Slade (from AC/DC). The original band emerged from its ashes, commemorating the 25th anniversary of the original formation that brought it success in 1982. with a tour of North America, a DVD, and a promotional CD. Payne continues to tour as a solo artist. Asia returned to stores on April 15, 2008 with its first original album from the original line-up, aptly titled 'Phoenix'. A well-received tour soon followed.
That album received praise from publications such as the All Music Guide and debuted at No. 73 in the U.S. on the Billboard 200 chart. Though touring has remained limited due to multiple commitments by band members, Asia goes on, their last major release being the live album 'Resonance: Live in Basel Switzerland'. Music critic Matt Collar remarked that it captured the tours' appeal of Wetton's "still powerful vocal chops".
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- LyricsI never meant to be so bad to you
One thing I said that I would never do
A look from you and I would fall from grace
And that would wipe the smile right from my face
Do you remember when we used to dance?
- LyricsYou're leaving now it's in your eyes
There's no disguising it
It really comes as no surprise
To find that you planned it all along
I see it now becomes so clear
- LyricsHard times you had before you, I knew when I first saw you
You girl, you've always been mistreated, cheated
So leave it all behind you, it took so long to find you
I know that we can last forever ever and more, oh, oh, oh
Don't cry, now that I've found you
- LyricsWhen I ride the hounds of hell
Twist my foot, I nearly fell
I was lucky, I was alive
One look back I could have died
I was the sole survivor
- LyricsThey decorated all the generals
Who fought the war behind the lines
They had forgotten all the soldiers
The brandy puts them way behind the times
Insanity has found its way to TV screens
- Time Again - 87,740 plays
- Here Comes the Feeling - 80,554 plays
- The Smile Has Left Your Eyes - 83,706 plays
- Without You - 62,622 plays
- One Step Closer - 62,588 plays