0 Shouts - 652,645 Scrobbles
Archie Shepp is an American jazz saxophonist, poet, and playwright long known for the outspoken political tones in his work.Read More...
Shepp was born in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, on May 24th, 1937, but raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he studied piano, clarinet and alto saxophone before focusing on tenor saxophone (he occasionally plays soprano saxophone). He is best known for his passionately Afrocentric music of the late sixties which focused on highlighting the injustices faced by people of African descent. He is also known for his 60's work with the New York Contemporary Five with co-founder Don Cherry and Shepp's collaborations with his "New Thing" contemporaries, most notably Cecil Taylor and John Coltrane, but also Roswell Rudd and Bobby Hutcherson.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Attica Blues - 45,613 plays
- Blues For Brother George Jackson - 39,556 plays
- Ballad For A Child - 18,348 plays
- Invocation To Mr. Parker - 16,457 plays
- Cousin Mary - 15,062 plays
- Quiet Dawn - 14,934 plays
- Naima - 13,663 plays
- The Girl From Ipanema - 12,231 plays
- Blues From Brother George Jackson (Mondo Grosso Next Wave Mix) - 19,292 plays
- Steam, Part 1 - 12,693 plays