0 Shouts - 4,568,631 Scrobbles
Arab Strap was a slowcore band from Falkirk, Scotland, UK, signed for the majority of their albums to independent record label Chemikal Underground. The duo had a short lived flirtation with a major label at the peak of their critical acclaim (after "Philophobia") when they signed to Go!Beat records (a former independent label now owned by Universal).Read More...
Vocalist Aidan Moffat and multi-instrumentalist Malcolm Middleton met in Falkirk, bonded over their mutual love for Drag City recording artists such as Smog and Will Oldham, and began a collaboration in 1995. The band is completed by violinist Jenny Reeve and cellist Stacey Sievewright. Arab Strap's marked characteristics include frank and forthright lyrics delivered in a Scottish brogue.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- LyricsSo that was the first big weekend of the summer... Starts Thursday as usual with a canteen quiz and again no-one wins the big cash prize. Later I do my sound bloke routine by approaching Gina's new boyfriend to say that he shouldn't feel that there's any animosity between us and then I even go and make peace with her. I shouldn't have bothered. Then on Friday night we went through to the Arches...
There was only one car going, so some of us had to get the train. We got through quite late. Then we went to a pub to take the gear. There was no problems getting in - we saw some others waiting down the front of the queue so we skipped in. It was a good night, everyone was nutted and I ended up dancing with some blonde girl. I thought she had been quite pretty until last night when Matthew informed me that she had, in fact, been a pig. When the club finished we wandered the streets for a while until we got to this 24-hour cafe but I didn't like the look of it so we left and got a taxi back to Morag's flat. I couldn't sleep, so I sat about drinking someone else's strawberry tonic wine and tried to keep everyone else up.
Then at ten o'clock in the morning we went downstairs to buy some drink. We had intended to watch the football in the afternoon but we'd passed out by then and slept right through it, awaking to find that England had won two-nil. Then we went to get the train home and had a few in the Station bar. We had some stuff left from the previous night's supplies so when we got home we decided to go down to John's indie disco. Same story as Friday - lots of hugging, lots of dancing etc. etc. I couldn't sleep again so went up the park to look at the tomb, taking a detour through the playpark. To get in we had to climb over a ten foot steel fence, which resulted in severe bruising of our hands, legs and groins, but we had a good laugh on the stuff, especially the tube-slide, which probably doubles up as a urinal for drunk teens. Then we walked through the woods to have a look at the tomb. It was a big disappointment, but the mist on the lake was cool.
Sunday afternoon we go up to John's with a lot of beer in time to watch the Simpsons. It was a really good episode about love always ending in tragedy except, of course, for Marge and Homer. It was quite moving at the end and to tell you the truth my eyes were a bit damp. Then we watched these young girls in swimsuits have a water fight in the street. "Taping this, aye?" We went up to the pub about ten. It was busy for a Sunday night, lots of people we know, including my first ever girlfriend who I still find very attractive, quite frankly, but I didn't really speak to her. She's probably still a bitch, anyway. Her friend Gillian was there, I had a chat with her, she was still quite pleasant. At the same time I watched Malcolm make some terrible attempt to try and chat up a girl we know called Jo. He made some remark about her skirt that was barely there the previous night or something. I couldn't sleep again that night, thanks to some seriously disturbing nightmares...Matthew says I should cut down on the cheese.
"Went out for the weekend, it lasted for ever, high with our friends it's officially summer."
- LyricsAnother bloated disco, another sniff of romance I'll forget. We promised to ourselves before we came out we'd do something we regret. These people are your friends, this cunted circus never ends. I won't remember anything you say. I lost my social skills a while ago but now I feel them coming back. My eyes were rolling when we met and now they are preparing for attack. I want to fall in love tonight and form the perfect unbreakable bond. You can be my teenage Jenny Agutter, swimming naked in a pond. You know I'm always moaning but you jump-start my serotonin. But how do you know you've ever really loved? But when I feel like this, I know it doesn't matter. When I eat when I'm not hungry, I'm sure I feel my face get fatter. Then I thin out every weekend and I think that she might want me. But I always slip off on my own 'cause I let those feelings haunt me, they control me but tonight I'm letting go. You're more than just a photo album, you're more than what some people let you know and if we ever make it home, I'll tell you all the things that shaped me thus. Something forged in a phonebox but lost in a restaurant, we've got so much to discuss. Here, have you tried the blue ones? I hear he's got some new ones. Sleep is not an option tonight. Look at us just stand and stare, look at them just pose and pout, and we'll all be standing here until the pigs chuck us out.
- Stink - 121,533 plays
- LyricsYou know I've felt like this before,
I know you have felt it too,
But maybe I don't want to dance,
'cause I've not had as much as you.
Our lives did not begin,
- LyricsHow am I supposed to walk you home
When you're at least fifty feet ahead?
'Cause you walked off in a huff
And I'm that pissed I can't remember what it was I said
And I don't doubt you wouldn't touch him now
- Packs Of Three - 97,119 plays
- There Is No Ending - 96,977 plays
- Dream Sequence - 92,031 plays
- New Birds - 110,191 plays
- (If There's) No Hope For Us - 93,636 plays