0 Shouts - 111,263 Scrobbles
There are at least three artists using this name:Read More...
1) Andra (real name – Alexandra Irina Maruta) is a Romanian Singer. She was born on August 23, 1986 in Câmpia Turzii, Romania.
At the age of 7, Andra debuted with Whitney Houston’s song “I Will Always Love You” on the festival Tip Top Monitop. At the age of 14, the young singer released her first solo album entitled “Andra”, which included 10 R&B and pop-dance songs.
In October 2003, Andra recorded another album with the help of Space Music & Film. Her single “Vreau sărutarea ta” (”I want your kiss”) became very popular on the Romanian charts.
During her career as a singer she had been awarded many times, including: First place at Mamaia festival – section creation, second place at Eurovision Romania 2003, Award for the best female voice 2004 – MTV Music Awards Romania, Best movieclip “Vreau sărutarea ta”, Best single of the year 2005, Best artist of the year 2005, Second place at Cerbul de Aur festival 2005.
2) Andra, born Alexandra Govere, is a Zimbabwean singer, songwriter, and record producer. She is the musical protege of Kerry Brothers, Jr.; Alicia Keys' songwriting and production partner
3) Andra is a singer/songwriter from Namibia that emerged onto the South African scene with her album "Secrets and Skeletons - Notes from a Desert Café" in 2007. In 2009 she released her second album "Ever had that Feeling".
From her website: www.andra.co.za:
It is impossible to be untouched by the environmental influences that surround you when you grow up in a space that has been referred to as "the land God made in anger". ANDRA grew up in Swakopmund - a small town squashed between the cold Atlantic Ocean and the mystic Namib Desert. Along with the inspiration from stories told about the shipwrecks of the Skeleton Coast, the folklore attached to the land and story-triggers she observed and encountered at the coffee shop where she worked, it is clearly evident that these elements are echoed in her songwriting.
ANDRA moved to Pretoria, South Africa in 2007 and soon teamed up with producer Ludwig Bouwer. "Secrets and Skeletons… Notes from a Desert Café" was released towards the end of 2007 - an album drawing immense attention not only in South Africa but also from music critics around the world mainly for its honesty, individualism and sincerity of the music and lyrics. The album's release was followed by several nationwide South African tours, a sold-out tour of Namibia and performances at major Southern African festivals such as Up the Creek, InniBos, Splashy Fen, the White Mountain Folk Festival, STRAB (The Subterranean Rhythm & Blues Festival), Aardklop and Oppikoppi.
Whilst in the middle of a busy touring schedule, ANDRA returned to the studio in March 2009 – again with producer Ludwig Bouwer. Six months later saw her complete her much awaited second album "Ever had that feeling". With this album she crossed all boundaries. Alternative folk-styled tracks like "Horse at the Water", the heart wrenching "I'm not ready" and the passionate "Broken Spanish" amongst others illustrate the depth and range of ANDRA's talent as a songwriter. She draws from the same well of honesty as Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen.
Though the album's release was initially scheduled for October 2009, the confirmation of ANDRA's first European tour during that time necessitated a later launch date. A 10-date sold-out tour of Belgium, Germany, Austria and France, supporting the platinum selling singer/songwriter Sarah Bettens (lead-singer of K's Choice) followed.
2010 saw ANDRA maintain a busy schedule with performances at various South African and Namibian festivals in addition to a week long tour of Belgium. It has also been a year that has seen her perform with a full band on a more regular basis. Producer Ludwig Bouwer (bass guitar and backing vocals) and Theuns Botha (drums) make up the rhythm section whilst Brenda Burnit (mandolin and backing vocals) joins them on occasion.
Top SongsTotal plays on Last.fm over the last 6 months
- Something New - 10,156 plays
- Telephone - 4,616 plays
- Problema Ta / Your Problem - 1,521 plays
- Daca Esti Langa Mine / If You're Next To Me - 1,199 plays
- Love Can Save It All - 1,637 plays
- Sarutul Noptilor De Rai /The Kiss Of The Heavenly Nights - 978 plays
- Put Your Spell On Me - 942 plays
- Fac Doar Ce Vreau / I Do Only What I Want - 821 plays
- Doar O Clipa / Just A Moment - 815 plays
- Ramai Cu Mine / Stay With Me - 765 plays